Thermostat for Whitfield Advantage ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagged Wood

Feb 17, 2008
western Va.
After reading my owners manual about installing a thermostat and hooking it up I still have a question.
When the room temp gets to where the thermostat switches "off" (back to low in my case) the control board lights start flashing.
Is this how it is supposed to work? I couldn't find anything in the manual about that. It did say the stove would go to the lowest setting when the temp was high enough which seems to be working right but it says nothing about the control board lights flashing. Not all the lights flash just the ones that stay on when the temp gets low enough to put the stove back on whatever the preset heat output was.

Is this how it should work or do I have a problem somewhere?
Thanks

Bagged Wood said:
After reading my owners manual about installing a thermostat and hooking it up I still have a question.
When the room temp gets to where the thermostat switches "off" (back to low in my case) the control board lights start flashing.
Is this how it is supposed to work? I couldn't find anything in the manual about that. It did say the stove would go to the lowest setting when the temp was high enough which seems to be working right but it says nothing about the control board lights flashing. Not all the lights flash just the ones that stay on when the temp gets low enough to put the stove back on whatever the preset heat output was.

Is this how it should work or do I have a problem somewhere?
Thanks
Yes
when the stove goes into keep fire mode the Board will flash
This is flashing has made lots of people replace boards when they dont need to

The thermostat and the advantage stoves are tricky to get them dialed in
The altra grate is a must
and you may have to dial in the POT settings to get the Low burn to not go out because of long pellets

Thanks for the information.
I think I have the "standard" burn pot. 13 bars.
Might need to check on getting the ultra.
Everything seemed to do "OK" last night it burned on low all night as far as I can tell. I don't think it got cold enough for it to go to the higher setting through the thermostat. Outside temp was 47 when I went to bed and 60 when I got up so I didn't need anything more than the low setting. I got up at 4am and turned it off cause it was 77 in the house.

Bagged Wood said:
Thanks for the information.
I think I have the "standard" burn pot. 13 bars.
Might need to check on getting the ultra.
Everything seemed to do "OK" last night it burned on low all night as far as I can tell. I don't think it got cold enough for it to go to the higher setting through the thermostat. Outside temp was 47 when I went to bed and 60 when I got up so I didn't need anything more than the low setting. I got up at 4am and turned it off cause it was 77 in the house.

if you have a 13 or 10 bar you ALREADY have an ultra grate
it is the OLD burn pot with holes that dont work well with an thermostat.

What does the pot have to do with the thermostat ? The thermostat kicks the stove to low when the thermostat connection opens.

MButkus said:
What does the pot have to do with the thermostat ? The thermostat kicks the stove to low when the thermostat connection opens.
With the OLD Original Drop in Grate with small holes would not work well, went the stove ran on low then put to a higher feed rate and then to low again for the holes. the pellets would smother or the holes would build up

Just from my own experience

hearthtools said:
MButkus said:
With the OLD Original Drop in Grate with small holes would not work well, went the stove ran on low then put to a higher feed rate and then to low again for the holes. the pellets would smother or the holes would build up

Just from my own experience
I dont have a thermostat but i do have the old style grate and he is right about it building up...I rake my pot out everyday if not twice/day depending on the brand of pellets im burning..I recently purchased a ton of AWF pellets because the dont build up as fast(barely at all) and seem to burn longer and hotter than any of the other 4-5 brands I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.