Thermostat On/Off Compat. Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingarcher

Nov 6, 2008
NY
First post in the *gasp* Pellet world, been burning cord wood in the house...

Anyway- in the polebarn I am planning a major shop size increase and wish to heat it, too. Will be insulated, NOT a garage, not a gasoline storage facility, etc etc, not wondering about potential code interpretations..... I have been using a ceiling mounted propane heater in a small shop currently in there- don't like it, too noisy, cycles endlessly, etc.

In the bigger area thought to use a pellet stove. But as the space is used on a standby arrangement, I would like a stove that will thermostat cycle to maintain a lower level of warmth and of course allowing for "turn it up" an hour or so before an afternoon in the shop.

Can the collective hook me up with a list of "on-off" (at the least) compatible small pellet stoves? I've been searching around and have been just getting confused.

Nat

how big is the space? ceiling height as well being a shop

there are actually quite a few (on/off) capable units out there , we build 4 of them though they are all rated to approximately 2K sq ft in a shop situation , of my models i'd lean towards the 25-PAH unit 3 bag hopper its basically a big square box no need to be "ornate" in a shop environment,

any "big e" owners out there? does that unit have on/off? similar to our pah im thinking its slightly smaller in size though

...... i'd lean towards the 25-PAH unit 3 bag hopper its basically a big square box no need to be "ornate" in a shop environment,....

I agree w/ Mike. The PAH would be great there....plenty of fuel capacity for days of un-monitored operation and doesn't have to be a "looker".

Thanks guys. Size wise, this will open into the existing shop via doorway.... so..... 14x24 and a 30x16.. 816 feet. 2x6 construction, so "R19" all the way round, including the ceiling. The downer is the concrete slab is uninsulated and even though I put down the interlocking rubber mats (like they sell at Harbor Freight, used to see similar in ice rinks...) it's still quite a heat sink in winter. Ceiling will be pretty tall, 9-10 feet. Plus windows.... and half the walls are exterior. I was thinking of a "1500" sq ft stove, but perhaps you can advise me better on how much area they really heat.

I'd like to do maintenance heat at 50 or so, and be able to run it up to house temp (my lady is rather cold blooded, but does like doing things in the shop...) for a few hours. If I let it go cold cold all the mass in the room is down and it takes forever to get it back. The propane maintains at 45 currently in the 14x24 but it takes a long time of cycling to get the mass in the room (work benches, some tools, etc... not a room full of mills and lathes!) up to temperature. Propane is pricey (especially when you buy as little as I do) so I hate to run the maintenance temp higher.

N

how big is the space? ceiling height as well being a shop

there are actually quite a few (on/off) capable units out there , we build 4 of them though they are all rated to approximately 2K sq ft in a shop situation , of my models i'd lean towards the 25-PAH unit 3 bag hopper its basically a big square box no need to be "ornate" in a shop environment,

any "big e" owners out there? does that unit have on/off? similar to our pah im thinking its slightly smaller in size though

As I am a Breckwell dealer, the answer is yes, the Big E does Auto-On/Off as well as Auto-Hi/Lo. I just got a job to work on another one today. LOL

Also I am refurbishing an Enviro MAXX, it is rated at 70BTUs with a 3 bag hopper with Auto-On/Off as well as Auto-Hi/Lo. All automated Enviros run for 20 min on low fire before turning off to prevent short cycling with any type of millivolt T-Stat. The MAXX is the largest pellet stove! A refurbished stove can save you alot of money to start with. :)

Thanks guys. Size wise, this will open into the existing shop via doorway.... so..... 14x24 and a 30x16.. 816 feet. 2x6 construction, so "R19" all the way round, including the ceiling. The downer is the concrete slab is uninsulated and even though I put down the interlocking rubber mats (like they sell at Harbor Freight, used to see similar in ice rinks...) it's still quite a heat sink in winter. Ceiling will be pretty tall, 9-10 feet. Plus windows.... and half the walls are exterior. I was thinking of a "1500" sq ft stove, but perhaps you can advise me better on how much area they really heat.

I'd like to do maintenance heat at 50 or so, and be able to run it up to house temp (my lady is rather cold blooded, but does like doing things in the shop...) for a few hours. If I let it go cold cold all the mass in the room is down and it takes forever to get it back. The propane maintains at 45 currently in the 14x24 but it takes a long time of cycling to get the mass in the room (work benches, some tools, etc... not a room full of mills and lathes!) up to temperature. Propane is pricey (especially when you buy as little as I do) so I hate to run the maintenance temp higher.

N

slab aint gonna hurt ya too much with pellet , biggest thing is with your existing propane setup you probably start from cold daily(guessing you kill the propane in the evening to save on it i would), with a pellet unit you could run it on a low setting overnight to hold heat in the thermal mass without burning that much fuel. a 1500sq ft unit would likely get it done , i don't make one which has on/off (yet im working on it) but with "on/off" it doesn't really matter

that with a shop environment was why i was thinking of my PAH and breckwell's "big-e" both are capable heaters , not expensive and both have big hoppers and the ability to change temps fairly quickly.

either would be a good fit i think , unless one of the other members can suggest a smaller unit with the capabilities you are looking for maybe the cab 50? does it do the on/off thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.