Thermostat placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgcable

Jan 24, 2010
Milford, CT
I have a pellet stove insert in my fireplace on the 1st floor in my living room.
I have gas fired steam radiators for my main heat in the house.
The only thermostat I have is in the dining room which is about 10 feet around the corner from my pellet stove.
When the insert is on I am about 70-72 degrees at the downstairs. When I walk upstairs I can feel the heat rising up the stairs but it hits a spot in the upstairs hallway and the heat dissipates. Basically, I am left with 4 bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs that are cold as long as the pellet stove is on because the thermostat never turns the furnace on because I have it set at 65 degrees constant.
Now.. the simple thing to do would be to turn the thermostat up to 75 but when I do that the 1st floor is unliveable with the combination of the pellet stove and the steam radiators. I don't run the pellet stove 24-7.
For instance, its not on during the day during the week. This past Saturday and Sunday I had the pellet stove on most of the day and night and the downstairs was around 72 degrees. The stairs leading upstairs was 72 degrees. The hallway upstairs was about 70 and when I got to the end of it it was 65. The bedrooms were between 63 and 65 degrees.
So, should I add another thermostat upstairs and set it to a comfortable temp? I guess what I could do after that would be to turn off several of the radiators in the downstairs because the pellet stove would take care of the additional heat needed on the 1st floor.
This way, my gas furnace would only be supplying water to the upstairs radiators so I assume they would heat up much faster and help on my monthly gas bill.
Does this sound like something that would work?

i would put a thermostat in the coldest area then it would equal it out

jgcable, Your solution sounds like the right thing to do. I believe you could wire both thermostats, so that the furnace would turn on when either one of them calls for heat. this way when you aren't using the pellet stove, the downstairs would still remain warm (after you open the radiators back up).

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.