thermostat problem, i think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maineah1214

Aug 6, 2013
Maine
Hey all,

I have a Santa Fe connected to a Quadrafire thermostat. Its the black, non-programmable one. Anyway, the problem I am having is random stove shutdowns. It could be in the middle of the night leaving a very cold house in the morning. I have witnessed the shutdown a couple times now and it usually seems to be when the thermostat is put on 'on' mode and not the thermostat mode. It happened this morning so I pulled the side of the stove off and the call light isn't on, only the green light and its steady on.

To get the stove to come back on, cycling the thermostat by pressing the mode button on the front makes it come back on....no need to press reset on the stove, in fact that doesn't do anything to help.

Any suggestions? I am thinking bad thermostat but don't know enough about these things to come in out of the rain.....

I don't have an exact answer to your question, but I do know this, stoves are finicky on what type of thermostats will work with them. I would call the dealer or get out the manual and read it. My guess is that your thermostat is not compatible to your stove.

Tom C.

The reset button only works when the stove sees the thermostat calling for heat, when the light is on. Pressing it momentarily turns the thermostat 'off'.

It really sounds like the problem is in the thermostat or the wires to it. Start with the easy stuff: have you replaced the battery in the thermostat? You can also look for pinched wires and loose connections between it and the stove.

You say the problem happens when the thermostat is on 'on' mode. Assuming that this mode always calls for heat, see if the problem occurs when you use thermostat mode with a really high temperature setting.

The reset button only works when the stove sees the thermostat calling for heat, when the light is on. Pressing it momentarily turns the thermostat 'off'.

It really sounds like the problem is in the thermostat or the wires to it. Start with the easy stuff: have you replaced the battery in the thermostat? You can also look for pinched wires and loose connections between it and the stove.

You say the problem happens when the thermostat is on 'on' mode. Assuming that this mode always calls for heat, see if the problem occurs when you use thermostat mode with a really high temperature setting.
I still have the two mechanical thermostats supplied by Quad with my stoves, which I never used. One is labeled Quadrafire and has no 'on' switch. Just simply has the slide lever to adjust the temp. No batteries. The other stat is a Braeburn mechanical that has a 'heat' and 'off' position but, again, no batteries.
If you have one with an 'on' over-ride, like Swineflue said, it may be that your wires running to the stove are broken. The best thing to do is remove the stat wires AT THE STOVE and jump across the terminals with a wire to see if the red light comes on. If it does, replace the stat wiring. AND like Swineflue said, if your stat has batteries, replace them. If I don't replace mine every year, there comes a time when there isn't enough power in them to pull in the on-board relay to complete the circuit to the 'call for heat' on the stove. It sounds strange but it is a FACT.
The 'green' light you see is from the thermocouple circuit showing that the temperature at the thermocouple is still above 200 degrees.
After all of the above is done and you still don't get the call for heat red light, then you REALLY have a problem. Let us know what happens.

I figured it out. after reading the manual, it would appear for some reason it shuts itself down after 9 hours (the thermostat). gonna try leaving it on thermo mode with a high temp as suggested to see how it works. Thanks for your help. Oh, and this is the Quad Smart Stat 2 i believe.

after reading the manual, it would appear for some reason it shuts itself down after 9 hours
Wow, hope that works out better. I'm glad I just have the lowly Quad "mechanical" one (the old-fashioned mercury bulb switch), it works fine for the way I use the stove.

Some t-stats (normally those that provide remotes) do not allow the stove to be fired for more than a certain amount of time. They consider this a safety feature.

Get out the instructions for your t-stat and see if this is the case for your t-stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.