Thermostat troubleshooting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
So I'm trying to hook up a thermostat to my Monessen propane stove, and having no luck.

First off, it's a millivolt compatible Honeywell thermostat [Model #RTH111B]. The manual that comes with it absolutely blows - doesn't give any guidance whatsoever to which terminals you should be plugging into for a millivolt system. I called the customer support and spoke to some overseas guy who had no idea what he was talking about.

After looking around on the internet, I deduced that I should be plugging the wires from the stove into the R and B terminals on the thermostat. Presto! It worked. Unfortunately, it won't turn off. I crank the thermostat down to 40 degrees, and the stove stays on.

I called the customer support and spoke to some overseas guy who had no idea what he was talking about.

I've tried other wiring combinations - R & W, R & Y, but can't get the stove to even turn on.

The wiring on the stove itself matches what's in the manual. I'm sure this is an issue with the thermostat wiring, but will take any advice I can get.

Never mind. Turns out I'm just an idiot.

After perusing some posts on here that said I should be using R & W, I went back and tried it again. Didn't realize there was a 2-3 delay from the time you set the temperature to the stove turning on.

Long story short: It's working fine now, turning on and off. User error was the culprit, as usual.

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.