Thermostat Usage Affect on Pellet Usage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Death, I will probably be doing the same thing, as I have a couple of pipes that run through an attic, and want to make they don’t freeze. What settings did you use on the pellet stove ‘stat, and what temp did you end up leaving the oil heat ‘stat at?

Thanks

Signature
Avalon Astoria Bay
5 tons in the shed & basement
Proud member of the Pellet Pig Club....OINK OINK!!
“You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselves” - eernest4- Grand Pooba - Pellet Pig Club
“Earth is NOT going to run out of trees, forest, or bio mass anytime soon...And I don’t want to hear “It’s a free country” either ....(it isn’t????) - RingOfFire

We keep the thermostat for the pellet stove set at 72 in the room with the pellet stove, then the other room that doesn't get as much heat from the pellet stove is set to 68. It's all a balancing act till you find the right temperature, you just have to find one that works for you. For days I kept the regular oil tstat at 68, then I would adjust the pellet stove thermostat in the next room up one degree a day and watch to make sure it wasn't making it too warm in the room with the oil thermostat keeping oil from turning on. We also have hot water radiators so we can turn the knobs off in them for certain rooms, so only rooms that need heat and aren't warm enough from the pellet stove get heat, so it's a little easier to balance that way.

I have mine on thermostat, since 10-9 to now, I have burned 12 bags just using pellets for heat, thermostat set on 70 deg.

I have the same concern with some pipes freezing so i bought one of these

http://www.bearmountaindesign.com/

PM bridgerman if you have questions on this unit.

That's a good idea, but for us we still need the boiler to run enough to heat the furthermost regions of our house away from the pellet stoves, otherwise our kitchen and some upstairs rooms get too chilly.

So set it to run every hour for a half hour? or every 2 hours for a half hour i do believe its very configurable.

i guess the point of it being to keep pipes from freezing works fine but having it cycle a little longer at a short time span will keep those parts of the house warmer.

Were do you all run the wires for these wall thermostats or are they wireless?

Does most everyone run your stoves while at work with no one home?

My tstat is wireless, you can go wired if you like. Depends on where in your home you want the tstat, and how much running wire you want to do. I have mine in the hall leading up stairs. That’s a room and a half away from the stove so I didn’t want to run the wire.

I have run it while at work, but most of the time there is someone here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skytech-3301P-Thermostat-Fireplace-Remote-Control-NEW_W0QQitemZ190261069439QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190261069439&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:2|240:1318

scroll down...

looks like on our Englander summers heat we have to take the whole back off to access the jumper wires for the tstat install.

Same on the 05 MINI, need to take the side panel off (6 screws) then take the control board off (3 screws) then get to the jumpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.