thermostat weirdness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfarm

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2012
wisconsin
I just wonder why the pellet stove thermostat is reading the room temp so high. I had posted a little about this in another thread but thought I would try a new one with a photo.

the bottom thermostat is the pellet stove. you can see it is set on 68 degrees and the bottom reading says 85 degrees in the room.

the top thermostat is for our furnace (that is turned down to 55 and has not ran in a month). It says our room temp is 73 degrees which seems right.

the pellet stove thermostat is working correctely with the pellet stove cycling fine and even powering off when the room gets warm enough and restarting when cooler. It isn't paying any attention to the 85 degree reading or it would shut down all the time. It is keeping the house at a nice 73 degrees in the room of the pellet stove and 65 - 68 in the rest of the house.

Attachments

• thermostat small.jpg
    thermostat small.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 247
cant read the thermo but it might not be calibrated right if it doesnt bother you dont worry about it if it does may want to get a ne thermo

The 85 reading is from a thermometer in the same casing as the t-stat. The same is true of the Honeywell above it.

If that cover comes off would you please remove it and take a close up picture?

All four temperature sensing units may be actually seeing different temperatures, further most mechanical thermostat units also have anticipator adjustments to them.

I see a nice programmable stat in your future! :)

Some stats can be tweaked. Lift the hood and see if there is a screw to adjust the sweep. Set the temp reading to whats close to the furnace stats reading!If not? Don't bother. You can score a nice digital stat for les than a $20 dallor bill. Catch one on sale and its much less.

Stats dont always read the same.

Mechanical models are worse.

New models have an adjustment to calibrate it to the temp within the home.

thanks everyone, I will open it to see if it can be adjusted, if not will just live with it for now.

bbfarm said:
thanks everyone, I will open it to see if it can be adjusted, if not will just live with it for now.

I have a St. Croix that came with that thermostat. If you take the cover off, you'll see it's just your typical 10cent spring thermometer. Try bending the spring back to the correct temperature. If that doesn't work and it still bothers you, go buy a programmable $30+-. I have a digital programmable made by ritetemp, I bought it at HD. It's worked fine for the past 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.