thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
I have been reading on here for a while trying to find an answer on this. I have a honeywell 8320 3h/2c thermostat. My current heat is a heat pump with im guessing a heat strip. I am wanting to hook up my outdoor boiler to current thermostat. I would like the boiler on first stage, pump on second and aux on third. Is this possible?

Is there a way to use just the fan on stage 1? I have been reading the instructions over and over. I'm not sure but It kinda looks like I can run a jumper from from the stage one to the fan relay. I may be wrong though.

Is there a way to use just the fan on stage 1? I have been reading the instructions over and over. I'm not sure but It kinda looks like I can run a jumper from from the stage one to the fan relay. I may be wrong though.

As long as you "close the loop" on the relay for your fan, coming from your HP (green wire), the blower should run. So yes, you should be able to just run a jumper between the fan relay and your first stage heat, allowing either of these circuits (fan or 1st stage heat) to engage the blower. I assume this would work fine for you, using the blower only as the first stage, HP on second, and aux on third.

I also have a HP and use a duct mounted HX, but decided to just install a second thermostat. I wired it very similarly, just using the second thermostat in parallel with the fan relay.

You can get a 8000 series honeywell with 3 heat 3 cool and do it you may need to use a rib relay to seprerate the two systems

I tried to hook the thermostat up this morning. I wasnt real sure how to so I didnt get it done. I just want mess anything up

Well ended up putting a second thermostat in. One of my friends works for a heating and cooling place here in town. My heat pump itself has 3 stages of heat. The pump, pump and 1 or 2 heat strips and the 3rd stage or emergency heat is all heat strip until a lower stage can take over. But anyways, the boiler is up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.