thermostats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2010
Northern Maine
How many pellet stove owners have a thermostat control thier pellet stove or do most just run on one setting full time. I have mine on a thermostat but would it burn less on a low setting and run?

Have mine on t-stat but have found at temps below 20* above if i leave it on setting #2 that it keeps the house around a steady 74*and seems to use alot less pellets. Anything above 20* i put it on t-stat set at 74* otherwise it gets too hot !

Mine is on a thermostat and works great.I leave the stove on medium heat and it turns on and off

Have my pellet stoves on a stat always. If your stove will do Hi-Lo AND On-Off, then the Hi-Lo would be what you'd use after the temps get low (like Dec. - Feb). Running Hi-Lo will save pellets and ignitors.

Using a programmable here on my Castile, I think they save a lot of pellets, and we prefere the temp to lower once everybody has gone to bed.
I purchased a Honeywell, but it doesn't have the swing that I really wanted.

Watching the Lowe's ads, and if the LUX brand goes on sale I'll get a new one.

I use a cheap honeywell programable on my us 6041 it does high low mode and not on and off it woorks pretty well and i think it saves pellets but i think keeping the heat more stable is the big thing for me.

hello all, i am new to the pellet world. so if i understand you guys right, i can use any stat with the stove or does it have to be designed for a pellet stove?

bigdaddyste said:
hello all, i am new to the pellet world. so if i understand you guys right, i can use any stat with the stove or does it have to be designed for a pellet stove?

Welcome bigdaddyste,

Most pellet stoves use a millivolt thermostat. But check the manual to be sure!

Mine is a hand held remote from Quadra-Fire ,I can lay around and adjust temp

Have mine on a programmable Skytech. I burn a lot of wood so this works great to help when we are not able to tend the fire.

My MT Vernon AE is on a thermostat, it wouldn't run without it. I have it programmed to keep the house at 70 or so and kick it back a few degrees at night and durn the week when no one is home. I feel any more than a 3 to 4 degree set back will waste fuel because the stove has to run like crazy to get the thermal mass of the house back up. I do run it in the manual mode on heat setting between 2 and 4 out of 5 depending on outside temps and type/quality of pellets being used.

Have mine on thermostat, works great. At night I set it to 69. It will turn on at 66 and then turn off at 72.

Hello

Yes, any millivolt thermostat will work. However since Pellet Stoves take time to turn off and then turn back on, unlike gas and oil appliances, it is recommended to get a thermostat with a "Swing Temp" setting like a Skytech

Info from Skytech Manual Page 5 >> http://tinyurl.com/2wcu4ho
The thermo-transmitter operates the fireplace system whenever the
ROOM TEMPERATURE varies a certain number of degrees from the
SET TEMPERATURE. This variation is called the �SWING� or
TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL. The normal operating cycle of a
fireplace system may be 2-4 times per hour depending on how well
the room or home is insulated from the cold or drafts. A smaller
�swing number� increases the number of cycles so the room
temperature is more constant. A larger �swing number� decreases the
number of cycles, which saves energy, in most cases. The factory
setting for the �swing number� is 2. This represents a temperature
variation of +/- 2 0 F (1 0C ) between SET temperature and ROOM
temperature which determines when the fireplace will be activate. The
�SWING� number values are:
1= +/- 1 0 F (.5 0C ), 2= +/- 2 0 F (1 0C ), 3 = +/-3 0 F (1.6 0C ).

MANUAL CHECK OF �SWING� OR TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL
The operation of the factory set �THERMO SWING� can be checked by adjusting the SET TEMP 2 0 F above or below the room temperature.
This will cause the system to turn ON or OFF. Normally the system will only respond to temperature changes every two minutes. Manually
changing the SET temperature will activate the system in less than 10 seconds. If the �SWING� is changed, then a new room temperature
differential will respond. Factory setting of SWING temperature is 2 0 F.
OPERATIONAL NOTE: TO CONSERVE BATTERY POWER, CHANGES IN TEMPERATURE ARE ONLY RECORDED EVERY TWO
MINUTES. Additionally, to prevent repeated thermo-cycling of the gas appliance, the sensing unit in the transmitter will only activate the
remote receiver when the temperature change exceeds 2 0 F (1 0C ) above or below the SET (desired) temperature. However, if the
�SWING� setting has been changed from the factory setting (2 0 F /10C ), then thermo-cycling will activate at the new setting of the �SWING�
number.
MANUAL CHECK OF THERMO OPERATION
The operation of the Thermo setting can be checked on demand by adjusting the SET temperature 2 0 F above or below the room
temperature, which will cause the system to turn ON or OFF, respectively. Normally, however, the system will only respond to temperature
changes every two minutes. NOTE: if �SWING� number has been changed, then activation will occur at the new �SWING� setting.
When the gas fireplace system is activated, a FLAME icon will display on the LCD screen indicating a signal has been sent from the
transmitter.
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS

I use a hand held remote. It took some time to find the right placement for it but now it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.