They couldn't even GIVE the wood away!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
The Craigslist listing read " free cordwood, seasoned, log length, you pick up" The town the listing was in is about 8 miles from me so I called immediately and left a message. A very nice woman called back ten minutes later and explained that she had a pile of about 8 to 10 cord of all hardwood, up to 10' in length that was cut about 1 1/2 years ago right next to her long dirt driveway and she wanted to get rid of it so she could put a horse paddock there. She told me to come by anytime, her only request was that I didn't block the driveway. I left work early the next day, drove over and found a jumbled pile of mostly black locust with some sugar maple and a little white ash, ranging from 6" to 20" diam, all grown over with bittersweet. The bark fell right off the black locust, but the wood was very hard. It was kind of a mess, really dirty work, being all wet from the recent snow and rain, but there was a huge pile of great wood. I went to work with my chainsaw, cutting it into pieces I could lift and took home three very overloaded loads in my 1/2 ton van that day. One other couple showed up with a pick up from about 25 miles away and took a load. I went back and got one more load the next day and saw another couple with a pick up load. Since it was only one day after the listing, I figured a lot of people would clean it up over the next couple of days. We did get 8" of sopping wet snow two days later, so wood gathering wasn't all that great. I called a buddy of mine and told him about it and he went by over the weekend and picked up some. I went back a few days later and the woman there told me that quite a few people had stopped by but many of them just left! Much of the pile was still there. One guy even left her a voice mail message telling her that she should pull the ad from Criagslist cause she was mislisting it, that the wood sucked and must have been on the ground for at least three years! She told me they had called the state highway department 18 months ago cause the trees were blocking their view out the end of the driveway. The state came out and cut down a bunch of large trees for them and left them in their field. They had already cut up about 10 cords, their neighbors had taken all they wanted, and these people just wanted to get rid of it before it started to rot. Last night I went back (its been 10 days now) and cut up and loaded about 30 rounds of avg of 15" diam or larger. They must avg 75 pounds apiece! My poor van has been groaning under the loads. The woman stopped by again while I was loading and said that despite all the calls, nobody else had come by. I must have brought back close to 4 cords of nicely seasoned hardwood now, one van load at a time, 85% black locust (which splits really nice!), the rest sugar maple. I can't figure out what all the people who stopped by and didn't take anything were thinking! Were they were hoping for cut, split and stacked on a pallet with a fork lift to help them load? All I know is I'm glad they didn't figure it out! There is one last 1/2 load left that I hope to get over this coming weekend. I haven't really been scounging wood all that long but I can't believe this happens very often. Oh yeah, and on the way there, the road crews have been cutting back trees and there's a good 1/2 a van load of 3-4" diam oak, black birch and maple plus a whole van load of a large sugar maple they cut down and left in a ravine. If I get all this stuff, I'll have about 4 years of wood ahead now but it's hard to pass up. I still have to process it all though and get it under cover. This has been so easy over the past couple of weeks I'm wondering if this is more typical than I think and I should stop trying to grab all I can.

If it was left in large rounds I doubt it is seasoned. It needs to be split and stacked for 1.5-2 years for hard woods to season fully. When left in rounds the moisture in the inside does not dry out very well even if it sits for 3 years.

jtp10181 said:
If it was left in large rounds I doubt it is seasoned. It needs to be split and stacked for 1.5-2 years for hard woods to season fully. When left in rounds the moisture in the inside does not dry out very well even if it sits for 3 years.

I think you're right. Even though it's been in full sun all this time and the bark was sliding right off, when I split it, it stilll seems pretty fresh. I guess the term "seasoned" is used a bit liberally. Fortunately, I've got a couple of years before I need it.

The bark falling off is a mythical way to tell if wood is seasoned. Perfectly seasoned dry wood can have the bark stuck on still and if wood is not split the bark will fall off long before it is dry in the middle.

Be advised, wood that is cut and left by the side of the road by either road crews or utility crews in New Hampshire belongs to the property owner not the general public. Ask the landowner before helping yourself and you will save yourself a lot of trouble.

Hope this helps.

Seems like some folks can't look a gift horse in the mouth without pulling out the dental pick. There are those who will come up with all kinds of reasons to avoid work. Glad you got a good share of excellent wood. Don't worry about the slackers. Before you finish, do some clean up and make sure you leave the site neat. Give the property owner your name and number if they have any friends who find themselves in the same position. You will score big. May have to make up a client list for future wood.

So what you're saying is that the bark falling off is really just a good way to tell...if the barks falling off. I've read that is characteristic of seasoned wood. However, I can certainly see that it in itself does not necessarily mean that the wood is seasoned. I've been around trees and plants my whole life. My dad was a landscape architect by education (though not his career), I grew up around plant people, and I have a BS in plant science. However, I only started burning wood a few years ago, and it's only this year with the help of all you guys that I really started learning about burning wood well. It's yet another whole new way to look at trees. While it's not rocket science, there is still a surprising amount to know, all the way from sawing it down to damping it down. My poor wife suddenly is confronted with a husband who complains about the way she burns wood. Last year we just threw it in the stove and the hell with it (a forgiving Jotul Combifire 4 that burned it anyway). But already my fuel stream is much better quality, drier, cut to better sizes, sorted to accomodate seasons, and now in the process of seasoning to accomodate better burning. Well, the barks off. Now for getting it dry.

Weigle Tree Service said:
Be advised, wood that is cut and left by the side of the road by either road crews or utility crews in New Hampshire belongs to the property owner not the general public. Ask the landowner before helping yourself and you will save yourself a lot of trouble.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip. Seems like just plain good etiquette too.

Great score and write up. I do believe the slackers were looking for someone to DRIVE the forklift for them. LOL

jpl1nh said:

Hope this helps.

I told the story here last year about doing a little scrounging twenty-five or so years ago. While loading some junk wood a guy pulls up behind me. Next words I hear are "You have the right to remain silent..."

I just finished hauling 30+ pick up trucks load from a church's field. I was happy they were happy. I was lucky
that no one else wanted any of it so I took my time started 12/1 finished 3/1. Now their planting their grass and I'm all most finished stacking. If it easy to get, get as much as you have room for. Then rent a splitter for a day or two and be done with wood for a spell.

BrotherBart said:
jpl1nh said:

Hope this helps.

I told the story here last year about doing a little scrounging twenty-five or so years ago. While loading some junk wood a guy pulls up behind me. Next words I hear are "You have the right to remain silent..."
Ouch!!

johnsopi said:
I just finished hauling 30+ pick up trucks load from a church's field. I was happy they were happy. I was lucky
that no one else wanted any of it so I took my time started 12/1 finished 3/1. Now their planting their grass and I'm all most finished stacking. If it easy to get, get as much as you have room for. Then rent a splitter for a day or two and be done with wood for a spell.
Nice!! How often have you had such good fortune?

I love these free wood stories.
I've spent quite a few lunch hours driving about 10 minutes from work to pick up free wood from a grateful property owner (won't say who)

There are a few curious co-workers who wonder wher I'm going.
I tell them it's part of my "employee health and wellness plan!"

northcountry said:
I love these free wood stories.
I've spent quite a few lunch hours driving about 10 minutes from work to pick up free wood from a grateful property owner (won't say who)

There are a few curious co-workers who wonder wher I'm going.
I tell them it's part of my "employee health and wellness plan!"

Great tease. If you added your location to your public profile, you might get some drooler. By the way, picking a few splits at lunch beats a double thick chocolate shake at the drive inn.

Status
Not open for further replies.