They don't sell pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ranshe

Mar 2, 2014
North Coast California
Only 2 stove retailers in town. 1 says they do not sell pellet stoves because pelleted absorb the coastal dampness and plug the stoves. Has anyone had these problems? I am still looking at the other company. They do not do Harmon. Is dampness going to jinx a pellet stove?

I have to admit that is about the dumbest da** thing I have heard in a while.Especially coming from a part of the country that has much less year around humidity than the east coast or great lakes regions.Will pellets absorb water?Yes.Will your clothes absorb water?What do you do?--protect them.I would avoid the company that told you that.Still trying to get a grip on "coastal dampness".If you want to see damp,go to saskatchewan in the spring.Or north maine woods.However depending on where you are in calif. a mini split may be cheaper to run.

Only 2 stove retailers in town. 1 says they do not sell pellet stoves because pelleted absorb the coastal dampness and plug the stoves. Has anyone had these problems? I am still looking at the other company. They do not do Harmon. Is dampness going to jinx a pellet stove?

Dampness and moisture is the pellet stoves worst enemy!

That said, the Selkirk DT venting is the best cure! I was getting damp caked ash in the burnpot every morning from the morning dew! Finally I put in the Selkirk Masonry Conversion kit and Bingo, problem resolved! Seeing is believing! ! !

The outer wall brings in fresh air around the hot flue and warms the burn air. There is no measurement or claims of how well this works or even if it does work. I just see a huge difference in my particular case!

See pic below of Selkirk Up & Out

Masonry conversion
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...asonary-or-metal-chimney.104406/#post-1378518

Click pic to Enlarge

Attachments

• SelkirkDT.jpg
    SelkirkDT.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Reactions: Owen1508
Dampness and moisture is the pellet stoves worst enemy!

That said, the Selkirk DT venting is the best cure! I was getting damp caked ash in the burnpot every morning from the morning dew! Finally I put in the Selkirk Masonry Conversion kit and Bingo, problem resolved! Seeing is believing! ! !

The outer wall brings in fresh air around the hot flue and warms the burn air. There is no measurement or claims of how well this works or even if it does work. I just see a hhuge difference in my particular case!
There are measurments,has been researched a lot.Preheating cold combustion air is way more efficent,any type of burner.Notice harman pushing their system?Because it works,Now piazzetta is pushing it for their stoves.Direct vent gas heater manufacturers figured this out years ago.But I briught this up on oak threads,nobody seemed to believe me.Bixby knew it also.List goes on.

There are measurments,has been researched a lot.Preheating cold combustion air is way more efficent,any type of burner.Notice harman pushing their system?Because it works,Now piazzetta is pushing it for their stoves.Direct vent gas heater manufacturers figured this out years ago.But I briught this up on oak threads,nobody seemed to believe me.Bixby knew it also.List goes on.

X2, We agree and people are beginning to realize this. Heck I even have DT on my garage heater, I luv it!

Attachments

• HarmanP61a-2--Workshop.JPG
    HarmanP61a-2--Workshop.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 102
Status
Not open for further replies.