They say it's like riding a bike...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
...in that you never forget how. I decided today to drag our mountain bikes out of the shed, pump up the tires, and go for a spin around the block. I don't know how long it's been for the wife, years anyway... over a decade for me. Why I chose today, in 33°C heat I'll never know. Guess I didn't want to work today in this heat.

I don't know how long a city block is but a country block here is 10 km. Man, my butt is sore. Hard to imagine now that I used to go on 100 km rides (on my road racer). Going to have to find my old cycle racing tights with the chamois liner. Probably a good thing they are stretchy cuz they should still fit.

No, I won't post pics. :bug:

Maybe I'll drag out the road racing bikes next. Wonder how the old sew-up tires would be after all these years? Um... maybe not for a while. Riding on old rough tarmac, one would feel every stone.

I dragged ours out of the shed this Spring and pumped the tires up, then put them back in the shed and we still haven't actually ridden them this year! I keep thinking about it though.....

Now that Iam older I have more aches and pains that ever, this year I have some foot pain that I never had before but could be helped along by my work boots, my feet are changing as I get older I guess. I love riding my bikes and I have to stay in some sort of shape for my job but getting old aint making it any easier.

I asked the wife where my racing shorts might be and she said "forget it, those days have gone by". It must be like an old fat man in speedo trunks. I guess I have to go shopping for something a bit more "age appropriate" or lose the beer belly. Maybe something like this would be less repulsive than skin tight racing shorts.

270_270_9m290_lat.jpg

I hear ya..took the mountain bike out for about a mile and thought the seat was a torture device. We'll have to jury rig up something cause we like to berry pick along the canal while biking.

Your butt will get broke in but as you get older I think it takes longer.

Here he comes.

DennyonGiro-a.gif

There he goes.

DennyonGiro-5.gif

You can ride this bike all day and not get a sore butt. You don't even need special clothing.

But today is the last day I'm posting for a while as I'm off to Race Across America. All packed and ready to go!

Well, I swallowed my pride, and installed a super comfy, cushioned spring seat for my mountain bike. Totally top-heavy now, butt- I don't care.

Beetle-Kill said:
Well, I swallowed my pride, and installed a super comfy, cushioned spring seat for my mountain bike. Totally top-heavy now, butt- I don't care.
Well I hope it works out for you but soft seats have a history of putting pressure on areas you do not want pressure put on.

Status
Not open for further replies.