They say that stoves burn hotter when it gets colder...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlame

Jan 12, 2006
I've heard the statement that a stove burns hotter as it gets colder out (or something similar). This statement is not meant to be taken literally, but is figuratively speaking about how we feel hot and cold at a given indoor temperature relative to outdoor temperature.

It is currently 8.2 degrees out, and the thermometer sitting next to me tells me it is 68 degrees, yet I feel quite warm. I know there have been times when that thermometer says something like 71 and I feel the need to chuck another log on the fire because I feel chilled.

It is strange how we feel heat and adapt to changes in temperature. Anybody else feeling their "stove burning hotter" this balmy evening?

Actually, the colder it gets you can have a hotter fire.

Your draft works on a principle of temperature differential. The colder it gets outside, the higher the differential between your stove / chimney temp and the outside air. This can create a greater draw meaning that your fire can burn harder.

For example. On a stove with the draft set 25% open at 35 degrees F, the stove top temp might be 600 at a steady cruise. But with colder temps creating a stronger draft in the chimney, that is causing more air to be sucked into the stove at that same 25% opening and therefore the stove top temp will be higher.

This is why coal stoves typically work better the colder the outside air temp is.

Now to address the relativity of temperature as you mentioned..... I agree 100% I was getting sick of people B@#$ing that the temp was 25 degrees outside. Now that we have had a cold snap into the below 0 realm, these same complainers will be enjoying their mid 20's next time we get there!

pen

A variable could be humidity. I know on the coldest days I dont turn my humidifier on because it seems to cool the house, so 70 feels warm. When it's warmer, i run the humidifier and to me, it seems like 70 feels colder. I guess thats 2 variables, outdoor temp and indoor humidity.

Also,for what it's worth, if you have an OAK kit installed, the density of air changes with temperature. The colder the air, the denser the air which also means the more O2 available for combustion

Status
Not open for further replies.