They'll Be Some Changes Made

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
It all started in December with a massively heavy snowfall. I lost two sheds and a canoe to that one. Come spring I had my son help me demo the old wooden shed. I never liked that shed anyway, and it wasn't where I would want one in the first place. A humongous forsythia bush had overtaken the thing and half of the back yard around it. Instead of building a new one in that spot, I built one in the back of the property where it was out of the way.

I got to thinking about the soil under the shed, and I figured since it hadn't seen the light of day in 25 years, it might be a good spot to start a new garden... weed free. There was a medium size cherry tree right behind it and, of course, all that forsythia. I got talking to my landlord and he brought a few of his farm toys over.

Forsythia2.jpg

Forsythia.jpg

David.jpg

DavidAndShawn.jpg

New view, with garden in front. Full sun until about 6PM.

Not only the cherry tree, but four small dead elm and all of the forsythia is gone now. Having the right equipment is a game changer.
You can see the stump from the cherry behind the garden. He took all the wood for himself, but I got all the free labor. Besides, it was a 96º day they were working in. Wouldn't have been right to even hint at keeping it.
NewView.jpg

He's going to do some more grading around the property and take down and remove the old metal shed. The canoe collection and its rack will be moved behind the new shed, so now I will finally have a large area for seasoning wood. What had become the eyesore corner of the property will be a 20' x 60' strip of wood storage. Hooray! I can finally start drying my wood like normal folk do.
OldSteelShed.jpg

How many cord will fit on a 20x60 plot? ;-P

I have a 21x21 with 13 cords stack on it. I would thin 45 could be done.

Battenkiller said:
How many cord will fit on a 20x60 plot? ;-P
Depends on how high you go. I can cram more than 12 cord into my 10' x 20' woodshed.

Battenkiller said:
...How many cord will fit on a 20x60 plot? ;-P

If you stack it one mile high, you can get 49,500 cords on it. Rick

fossil said:
Battenkiller said:

That would be quite a mess when it fell over. :)

fossil said:
Battenkiller said:

Well, thank you Rick for doin' the math. Now I know.

So if I go with straight black locust, I can get about 1.3 trillion BTUs?

Cool.

7 or 8 ton of 35 year old hoe can get a lot of work done...looks great.

SolarAndWood said:
7 or 8 ton of 35 year old hoe can get a lot of work done...looks great.

It sure can. I'm pleased as a pig in poop. It's always been my favorite view, but you had to walk behind the trees and shed to see it.

Best part...

I can see those woodchucks coming to the garden for a long ways now, and there's a real clear view from my kitchen window for a well placed shot from a .22 cal. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.