They're here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbin

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
So. Me.
I was out on my walk yesterday afternoon and I heard them... PEEPERS! they were singing up a storm in the low, more protected areas of my neighborhood. I even heard some deeper, "bass" croaks in vernal pools. I just love that sound...

Still ice on most of the ponds, lakes, etc. up this way . . . I suspect it will be a few more weeks before we hear the peepers.

Reactions: flyingcow
Please make sure to note their appearance, Jake. I love plotting their emergence. Nothing says, "spring" more than the chorus of Peepers. And as our climate changes those charming amphibious voices are ever more threatened.

Red Winged Blackbirds and "Peepers" say, "spring" to me.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Heard the first ones here last Sunday. Now they are loud. Good to have them back.

Yea!

Heard 'em last weekend. NEVER been so happy to hear a frog.

No peeping here, yet, but my hyacinths still haven't bloomed (they are almost about too), and the daffodilles are starting to show their stuff.

Lilacs have buds !!!

And my allergies are kicking in :mad:

Reactions: osagebow
OK, we have peepers from the head waters of the Peconic River !!

I don't share the affinity you guys have for em. Lots of swamp land in my area so they're abundant. My road gets closed a couple days a year for vernal pool amphibian migration...happened about two weeks ago. I'm happy it's spring, but peepers can save their peeping for you guys and just eaty Mosquitos silently.

I heard them here in the Lower Hudson Valley over the weekend.

I think I heard a few after last night's fire department business meeting . . . but just a few . . . not the full chorus.

Reactions: Bobbin
Spring peepers are a wonderful reminder that the planet is still alive and waking up. I love that sound.

I hope their little snowsuits on last night. They were singin' up a storm when I went to bed... when I went out with the fool dog (5AM) there was snow on the ground (a "confectinary sugar" dusting)!

Haven't heard the peepers on the pond yet--
--but I killed three stinkbugs who woke up looking for coffee.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.