1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

THIEVES!!!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by devinsdad, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman1

Birdman1 New Member

Loc:
    Jersey Shore
    Wait long enough for any suspicion of motive to have elapsed, and if you are still mad.
    Well you know, just don't get caught.

This post is for entertainment purposes only and in no way does it recommend
    any criminal act against any person living or dead, all rights reserved.
    No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. crazy_dan

crazy_dan New Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    I read crap like this and am very happy I do not have any neighbors to speak of. Do they count as neighbors if you can't see or hear them from your house?
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Check your traps often. THis is not what you want to find.

[​IMG]
  4. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Perhaps you want to just leave that trap (well secured) sitting somewhere in plain sight... with a marking "#2 of 3" on it... :)

Actually during warmer weather I wonder how about one of those motion activated sprinklers that they sell for chasing off animals? ( http://www.yardlover.com/scarecrow-motion-activated-sprinkler?gclid=CLm5_5fts50CFZho5QodJmXIjw ) Given that your thieves are the bonfire party types I imagine being hit by the sprinkler would not make their night eh? Now I suppose one could somehow fill it with antifreeze so it would run in the winter too it might be even more effective... Combine it with the trail camera and you could perhaps get rich on one of those video submission TV shows!
  5. devinsdad

devinsdad Member

Loc:
    northern NY
    Well I have 2 ranks starting 12' from my back door . They are 6' high x 42' long . 2' behind them are a row of big cedars. that is the property line. Can't see any neighbors from here but I can hear 'em. Must be a pain in the ass to fight their way through brush but they did. there is also wire weld fence through the trees. Camera is Way up almost shooting down on em. All the rest of my stacks are now surrounded by a moat filled with goldfish (all I could afford) but I beat em with an iron pipe and hardly feed them. I used salt water so it shouldn't freeze over but the fish look ill. I guess I'm going to have to start shopping for a 4 camera motion record setup
  6. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Loc:
    N Illinois
    Rotten B@stards What about a privacy fence topped with barbed wire ? Guess I am lucky my big pile of split wood is in the back near the boiler shed and not really easily driven up to. The pile they can see from the road is big logs that need to be cut and split so may not be as attractive to the thieves.
  7. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Get yourself a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.........you won't have any more thieves.
  8. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Or a beaten and very hungry timber wolf tied to the pile with twine. That would be a deterent!
  9. moosetrek

moosetrek New Member

Loc:
    WY - East of Cheyenne
    Dang - I guess I'm just lucky, I leave the maul on the pile, the truck unlocked, and the shop door unlocked too. If the three barking dogs doesn't scare them off maybe I'll let the geese loose (the dogs are a LOT friendlier!). Of course, a) we have less people (only 500K in the entire state) and B) we have more guns per household than almost all states so C) pilfering is pretty low... and I can't imagine someone stealing wood (or anything else) out here. Out town has about 50 people, and I'm pretty sure we know them all - if not, then the neighbors will...
  10. mbcijim

mbcijim Member

Loc:
    Schuylkill County, Pa
    Next time sell them a pickup load for $50. Nothing stolen and you get paid. You have 12 cords. What difference does a truckload make?
  11. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    For people that heat their home with wood, is the same for Oil. I am pretty sure if you saw those little ba$tards draining it from your Oil tank I am pretty sure you wouldn't say "Its OK boys, its only a couple of gallons and I have a couple of hundred in my other tank." There is no difference. They asked, They were told "NO" That should of been the end of it!!! My 2cents.
  12. moosetrek

moosetrek New Member

Loc:
    WY - East of Cheyenne
    Why not come straight out and ask them if you know who it is? If they're responsible, maybe they'll own up and pay (maybe with labor for stacking, etc.); not an excuse but maybe they were all caught up in the party, and made a bad decision, let 'em have a chance to make it right. We've all done dumb things before... at least I sure have ;)
  13. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    That is a great idea moosetrek. My guess is you will get a blank stare but it would speak of thier character if they said, yep, I will come split a cord...
  14. ChrisNJ

ChrisNJ Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Burlington County
    WOW I would freak if someone raided my apple trees, hell the thought never crossed my mind until now as they are along the property border :-O
  15. flhpi

flhpi Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern Ohio
    I supply a friend with wood for his fire pit. He has mentioned that he thinks a couple two doors down have been taking it from him. They know each other but dont really hang out. Just a high when they pass on the street.
    I was thinking of cutting hedge apple and putting that in his pile. He knows to grab the cherry and maple and leave the hedge apple alone. I guess you will know who the thief is when you see all the embers popping all over the place. None of the houses in his neighborhood have indoor fireplaces. Just fire pits outside.
  16. tnroadkill

tnroadkill Member

put a sign out that says “ONE of these pieces has dynamite in it. guess which one…”

Like the old watermelon joke
    TWO of these pieces have dynamite in it. You guess which one
  17. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Won't the "evidence" be burned anyway?
  18. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    hey just do like the president does :sit down and try to" reason" with the hoodlums and convince them that its hurtful to steal from others
  19. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Sure, just like a British prime minister in the late 1930's.
  20. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass

A month ago a pear tree was stripped. It happened several years ago. I figured maybe squirrels for the seeds.
    Then this year also the apple tree.
    Now my asian pears were stripped.
    about 200 asian pears, 40 to 50 apples and 40 to 50 pears.
    Kids stealing a couple wouldn't bother me too much. Probably wouldn't even notice.
    But someone coming back repeatedly taking EVERYTHING is a bit strange.
  21. zzr7ky

zzr7ky Minister of Fire

Lexybird -

Which President? Does Walmart carry Water boards? ; )

I still like marking the 'foot' of the splitter to ID the splits. The same folks that steal also seem prone to waste.

All the best,
    Mike
  22. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Maybe it would be better to burn down another neighbor's house in retaliation for the alleged theft like the last president did.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.