THIEVES!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait long enough for any suspicion of motive to have elapsed, and if you are still mad.
Well you know, just don't get caught.

This post is for entertainment purposes only and in no way does it recommend
any criminal act against any person living or dead, all rights reserved.
No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

I read crap like this and am very happy I do not have any neighbors to speak of. Do they count as neighbors if you can't see or hear them from your house?

Ghettontheball said:
do they have a predictable path to get @ the wood?
Check your traps often. THis is not what you want to find.

bearTRAP-746474.gif

Perhaps you want to just leave that trap (well secured) sitting somewhere in plain sight... with a marking "#2 of 3" on it... :)

Actually during warmer weather I wonder how about one of those motion activated sprinklers that they sell for chasing off animals? ( http://www.yardlover.com/scarecrow-motion-activated-sprinkler?gclid=CLm5_5fts50CFZho5QodJmXIjw ) Given that your thieves are the bonfire party types I imagine being hit by the sprinkler would not make their night eh? Now I suppose one could somehow fill it with antifreeze so it would run in the winter too it might be even more effective... Combine it with the trail camera and you could perhaps get rich on one of those video submission TV shows!

Well I have 2 ranks starting 12' from my back door . They are 6' high x 42' long . 2' behind them are a row of big cedars. that is the property line. Can't see any neighbors from here but I can hear 'em. Must be a pain in the ass to fight their way through brush but they did. there is also wire weld fence through the trees. Camera is Way up almost shooting down on em. All the rest of my stacks are now surrounded by a moat filled with goldfish (all I could afford) but I beat em with an iron pipe and hardly feed them. I used salt water so it shouldn't freeze over but the fish look ill. I guess I'm going to have to start shopping for a 4 camera motion record setup

Rotten B@stards What about a privacy fence topped with barbed wire ? Guess I am lucky my big pile of split wood is in the back near the boiler shed and not really easily driven up to. The pile they can see from the road is big logs that need to be cut and split so may not be as attractive to the thieves.

Get yourself a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.........you won't have any more thieves.

Or a beaten and very hungry timber wolf tied to the pile with twine. That would be a deterent!

Dang - I guess I'm just lucky, I leave the maul on the pile, the truck unlocked, and the shop door unlocked too. If the three barking dogs doesn't scare them off maybe I'll let the geese loose (the dogs are a LOT friendlier!). Of course, a) we have less people (only 500K in the entire state) and B) we have more guns per household than almost all states so C) pilfering is pretty low... and I can't imagine someone stealing wood (or anything else) out here. Out town has about 50 people, and I'm pretty sure we know them all - if not, then the neighbors will...

Next time sell them a pickup load for $50. Nothing stolen and you get paid. You have 12 cords. What difference does a truckload make?

mbcijim said:
Next time sell them a pickup load for $50. Nothing stolen and you get paid. You have 12 cords. What difference does a truckload make?

For people that heat their home with wood, is the same for Oil. I am pretty sure if you saw those little ba$tards draining it from your Oil tank I am pretty sure you wouldn't say "Its OK boys, its only a couple of gallons and I have a couple of hundred in my other tank." There is no difference. They asked, They were told "NO" That should of been the end of it!!! My 2cents.

Why not come straight out and ask them if you know who it is? If they're responsible, maybe they'll own up and pay (maybe with labor for stacking, etc.); not an excuse but maybe they were all caught up in the party, and made a bad decision, let 'em have a chance to make it right. We've all done dumb things before... at least I sure have ;)

That is a great idea moosetrek. My guess is you will get a blank stare but it would speak of thier character if they said, yep, I will come split a cord...

billb3 said:
My 25 year old mcintosh apple tree finally had decent apples this year.

I've picked up a few drops, but was waiting for the first frost.

Took the dog for a walk after dark last night and noticed all the apples were gone.

Not just a couple. All of them.

I'm looking at cameras and basebal bats.

WOW I would freak if someone raided my apple trees, hell the thought never crossed my mind until now as they are along the property border :-O

I supply a friend with wood for his fire pit. He has mentioned that he thinks a couple two doors down have been taking it from him. They know each other but dont really hang out. Just a high when they pass on the street.
I was thinking of cutting hedge apple and putting that in his pile. He knows to grab the cherry and maple and leave the hedge apple alone. I guess you will know who the thief is when you see all the embers popping all over the place. None of the houses in his neighborhood have indoor fireplaces. Just fire pits outside.

put a sign out that says “ONE of these pieces has dynamite in it. guess which one…”

Like the old watermelon joke
TWO of these pieces have dynamite in it. You guess which one

maplewood said:
... putting a mark on their splitter that dents the end of the wood with a symbol/design, so all your split wood could be identified.
Or spray painting the ends of your wood after it's stacked...

Won't the "evidence" be burned anyway?

hey just do like the president does :sit down and try to" reason" with the hoodlums and convince them that its hurtful to steal from others

Sure, just like a British prime minister in the late 1930's.

ChrisNJ said:
billb3 said:
My 25 year old mcintosh apple tree finally had decent apples this year.

I've picked up a few drops, but was waiting for the first frost.

Took the dog for a walk after dark last night and noticed all the apples were gone.

Not just a couple. All of them.

I'm looking at cameras and basebal bats.

WOW I would freak if someone raided my apple trees, hell the thought never crossed my mind until now as they are along the property border :-O

A month ago a pear tree was stripped. It happened several years ago. I figured maybe squirrels for the seeds.
Then this year also the apple tree.
Now my asian pears were stripped.
about 200 asian pears, 40 to 50 apples and 40 to 50 pears.
Kids stealing a couple wouldn't bother me too much. Probably wouldn't even notice.
But someone coming back repeatedly taking EVERYTHING is a bit strange.

lexybird said:
hey just do like the president does :sit down and try to" reason" with the hoodlums and convince them that its hurtful to steal from others

Lexybird -

Which President? Does Walmart carry Water boards? ; )

I still like marking the 'foot' of the splitter to ID the splits. The same folks that steal also seem prone to waste.

All the best,
Mike

lexybird said:

Maybe it would be better to burn down another neighbor's house in retaliation for the alleged theft like the last president did.

Status
Not open for further replies.