Thimble for outside air installation....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forby

Oct 14, 2008
Northeastern PA
I decide to get fresh air to my stove due to several factors including cold drafts, de-pressurizing my slab(radon gas in NEPA) and lazy fires.

Does anyone with an OAK use a thimble or do you just run the 4 inch galvanized outside? Is there a code for this?

My dealer never did one and thinks a thimble is a good idea in case of a draft reversal or chimney blockage.

I'm tempted to just run it thru the wall assuming it's a COLD air intake only....

I don't think a thimble is necasary its only cold air. but my instalation manuel does say the outside end should not be higher than the inside where it hooks up to the stove and of course it should be unobstructed by bushes or shrubs and should have a screen on it to keep out critters and bugs. Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.