Thimble help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AAsTeapots

Oct 12, 2007
I am trying to figure what size thimble reducer I need for my pellet stove. I know I need it to go to 3" but I have no idea what size thimble I have. I believe I have a 6" stove pipe but I could be wrong about that also. the thimble is metal and at least an inch thick.. do you measure the outside diameter? the inner diameter? the outside top to bottom? the inside top to bottom?OK.. so I have no idea do I need a 6" to 3" 7" to 3" or an 8" to 3" UGH there is a sticker on the thimble and of course none of the boxes for size are marked... that would make sense!!! so if anyone can tell me how to measure this I Would appreciate it.
ALSO.... while I am here does anyone know how far the stove pipe hast to go into the thimble? does it go all the way to the chimney opening or just part way into the thimble? I cant seem to find any info about that anywhere.
Thanks in advance for the help
Amy

Measure your inner diameter. Most adapters make it so that your pellet vent doesn't actually "go into" the thimble. What brand of chimney are you trying to adapt to? Also keep in mind that typically the most effective and easy to maintain chimney systems are the same diameter the entire length. If it's in your budget you might want to consider lining your chimney with 3" liner all the way to the top.

Something along those lines then yes the plate you speak of should work fine and I'd stick the pellet vent approximately 6" through the plate. I was picturing manufactured chimney and didn't want ot recommend a plate in case it was air cooled.

Status
Not open for further replies.