Thimble necessary when going through masonry wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2007
Is any kind of thimble necessary if you're going through a cinderblock wall? If not, can you simply pass a length of pipe through an appropriately sized hole and seal with rockwool, etc...?

In short, yes. Need more info though, is this a liner installation? If so you could get away without it but if its just stovepipe to the wall, then definitely.

Lots of variables here. Need more info. Consult the pipe manufactures installation instructions also (many can be found online).

Yup, think about old proverb ...'Fire is a good servant but a bad master'.

I beleive so. The good folks here have helped me out quite a bit. I have an insulated thimble going through a block foundation. When asking about sealing air gaps, they still recomended 2" or so of clearance, so insulation was a no no. That being said, you'll want something designed for going through the block.

If you go to youtube and search for chimney liner depot they have a video showing a liner install and one showing a liner termination. I believe they say as long as you're passing through a masonry wall into a liner a thimble is not required and they show either using 2100* high temp insulation or high temp cement to seal the gap.

Answered my own question (I think):

2. For a noncombustible wall (concrete block or poured
foundation), cut a hole 3/16" greater in diameter than
the outside diameter of the chimney as per Table 4.

If I print the installation manual it should be good enough for the inspector correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.