Thimble question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbin

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
So. Me.
I wasn't so successful with my search, so bear with me, please.

We have a new building with a two flue (interior) chimney. The flue for the stove has thimbles on the first floor and on the second floor. We're installing a stove on the second floor only. So, that leaves the thimble on the first floor unsealed. The owner's manual for the Woodstock Classic advises against venting two stoves to one flue, though there was no prohibition against it in the exisiting code.

Is there a "plug" that can be fitted to the unused thimble and safely secured? Using "pie plates" is not considered a safe way to close one off. What are they properly called and where would I obtain one? We would rather not seal the unused thimble permanently in case we decide to use it in the future.

Thanks.

Any well stocked stove shop or hardware store that sells stove pipe should have exactly what you are looking for. The plug has a short (crimped) male end that fits tightly into the chimney thimble. The other end is solid and mounts nearly flush with the thimble. These are far more secure than the pie plate type covers and can be removed at a later date.

A quick thank-you for the information, Fraxinus. I'll have to purchase connecting stove pipe as soon as I finish the tile on the hearth and will scope out the "plugs", too.

And also to Dave_1 whose recommendation of the "Magic Chef" coffee can, handle, and "really cheap caulk" has not yet been ruled out. Should I opt for that suggestion I will definitely package the rejected coffee appropriately and send it along. :) Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.