Thimble Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently purchased a 1950s Cape in western Massachusetts, and one of the things I would like to upgrade is the stove piping. I noticed that we have a ceramic thimble running into out masonry chimney which I expect is not good. My question is whether this thimble would be good for low clearance, high temp usage:

http://www.ventingpipe.com/simpson-...g-masonry-thimble-with-slip-connector/p653165

Also, is this a good place to purchase from in terms of pricing, or are there better? Looking to get some double wll 6" piping as well. Thanks in advance, this forum has really enlightened me.

Hi and welcome...we have a ceramic thimble that the stove pipe goes into to access the chimney too...pretty sure all wood stoves attached to brick chimneys do. With the new stove we upgraded to triple wall pipe you might want to install that if you don't already.

...just say'en in MA you might need one of those thimble liners...here we don't.

Was just informed that each manufacturers thimble will only work with their piping. So if I get the Dura-vent thimble, I have to get the Dura-vent piping. I asked the rep whether the thimble would work with any flue liner, and he was uncertain. Anyone know this? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.