Things are just starting to heat up here! No more wood for me...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Summertime

Sep 3, 2008
Western, Ct.
Kind of a farewell to you guys.... I used to live in CT. and heat almost soley with wood, This past May I sold everything and moved down to Panama and will no longer burn anything except charcoal briquettes and maybe down the road sometime build a wood fired oven just to get my wood burning fix down here which by the way is just starting our "dry season" which is like a summertime if you consider low to mid 80 degree temps "winter"temps. Adios to all, have fun and stay safe burning this winter as I know I will miss it just a little!

BTW Thanks to all on this site for the invaluable info.

Summertime..

Summertime" date=" said:
Kind of a farewell to you guys.... I used to live in CT. and heat almost soley with wood, This past May I sold everything and moved down to Panama and will no longer burn anything except charcoal briquettes and maybe down the road sometime build a wood fired oven just to get my wood burning fix down here which by the way is just starting our "dry season" which is like a summertime if you consider low to mid 80 degree temps "winter"temps. Adios to all, have fun and stay safe burning this winter as I know I will miss it just a little!

BTW Thanks to all on this site for the invaluable info.

Summertime..

Hope you kept the maul for some of the bugs down there. Good luck and enjoy your new home. :)

Wow, thats a big move. Are you working there, retired? Whats it like? Have a lot of land? Live in the city?

good for you! i have allways wanted to do that just sell everything and move away to somewhere warm, may still happen one day :) good luck and enjoy your new lifestyle!

I want to move to Idaho (Boise area). I'm afraid there are very few hardwoods though!

Silly me. I live on L.I, and I want to move out to the country, where my neighbor cant see in my bedroom window and the hardwood trees are plentiful! Some day.

Summertime, we wish you all the best.

wood-fan-atic, when you are able to make that move, you will wonder why it took you so long. It is grrrrreeeeeaaaaaattttt!

"What kind of wood is this?" threads are about to become a whole lot tougher. I bet there are some great hardwoods in Panama, but nobody burns 'em so nobody appreciates how good they are.

Nice! Congradulations on taking a chance & making a dream come true. I assume you're retiring down there? Wife & I had 3 weeks in Panama last March (Kuna Yala, Darien, Bocas & Boquette). Very diverse & interesting country. Saw quite a few Ex-Pat retirees around Bocas & Boquette. Learning a bit of bad spanish (if you don't speak it already) can make interaction with the locals much easier & more fun (one guys opinion). Have a blast.

wow, that's crazy. I don't know what I'd do. I'd have to stay inside all day long.

Congrats and good luck.

you should be able to find a mud or clay cookstove in a back yard or kitchen somewhere to build a fire

Wood Duck said:
"What kind of wood is this?" threads are about to become a whole lot tougher.

Especially if it is a charcoal briq we are looking at!!!

I am living in the country near the Pacific Ocean the climate is warmer here than in the mountains but I realy like fishing so here I am,I kinda retired at 44 and while not rich I have enough to live on between selling things and my girls and my retirement to make it work.Things cost less here(a case of beer is only $8.00 and is good stuff!) I just want to live simple and get out of the rat race for now.

The more popular woods down here are types of Cedar,Teak and Mahogany which they have roadside woodshops that buck the wood up from logs and make and sell boards and furniture from green wood! I had a table top made and had to strip the varnish off because the moisture clouded up the finish!!

Here is a link to a song that a friend of mine down here sang last week and is how we feel in regards to moving down here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9RVHC4Ashc
Enjoy and stay warm and safe guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.