things i learned so far, still a newbee.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oneway

Jan 25, 2014
hilton ny
wet wood sucks, smoke in house sucks (2x), code says i dont need screen on chimney but me and the bird disagree (see pic.)
bird 005.jpg
it is easier to move a cardboard mockup than the real thing, the code man / fire marshal agree. floor protection cant be too big, embers seem to cling to door gasket, it must cover the full swing of the door.these guys in this forum have a bunch of useful advice and information it pays to check in at least every few days. now a question. i have a bit of 8" ash, cut 2 years, how big a log before it needs to be split? i took a look down my chimney, just looks a bit sooty, no flakes except at the very top last 1 ft. im thinking that is a good thing. how clean does this need to be? the three problems have been taken care of and i still love my quadrafire 3100 burn hot and burn safe. thanks, oneway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I split everything so that I can grab it one handed from the end. I also try to split a variety of sizes to aid in full (re: Packed) firebox loads.

Sounds like your stack is in good shape. As a newby I would still suggest a sweep and a good look at the whole system. Review everything to confirm a good solid system.

I agree with screen on caps. I had the same issue you are dealing with. 1/4" hardware cloth (metal screen) has worked well for me.

I picked up a dolly from Harbor Fright...shoulda done it years ago. Now I just lever up each side and put 2x4s or whatever under the legs, repeating until I have the stove high enough to slip the dolly underneath, then lower the stove onto the dolly. Easy as pie.
I buck wood down to 4", and split everything for faster drying. Nice to have some little splits mixed into the stack, especially if you don't have a big separate stock of kindling. Little unsplit Oak branches will still be sizzling several years later. :mad:
It's harder to tell about your flue if you don't have a liner; Could be glazed underneath the soot. But if you had the chimney inspected and cleaned before you started burning, you're probably OK unless you burned a lot of wet wood. I second the advice to have a sweep look at it if you are unsure about the condition of the chimney...

Better a bird than a squirrel, then you would really be in trouble...... Get a cap, ASAP......

Some chimneys attract birds, some don't. I have 3 flues on my house and non of them have mesh, I've never had a single bird in any of em.

Some chimneys attract birds, some don't. I have 3 flues on my house and non of them have mesh, I've never had a single bird in any of em.
Previous owner of this house lived here 19 years, and told me the same thing. Then I got a squirrel down the chimney and in my stove in my first year here. The stove had only gone "cold" a few hours.

That squirrel cost me about $600, being roughly $300 in direct damage + $300 in stuff I decided to do while I had the stove apart for repair. Cheap by comparison would be a 3/4" stainless mesh cap.

Well, I just had a pair of blue birds in my stove. First time in 8 years. How timely!

Brother Bart, I have a house cat, what are you raising? Bob cats or mountain lions?

Reactions: bluedogz and Dix
Status
Not open for further replies.