things kids say...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mascoma

Feeling the Heat
Jul 23, 2008
Upper Valley NH
So we are having a bit of a early season heat wave here in New England. Last night didn't cool down much and it was super muggy. Stove has been off for a few weeks, every window in the house is open with a fan in it.

My 4 year old come into my bedroom about 3am and wakes me up.

"Dad can you go turn the pellet stove off? It's too hot in here!"

Thats funny. We certainly have had quite the heat wave up here. It feels like we never had a spring. Just went from winter to summer. Im just glad we were able finally stop burning.

Hello

It aint called summer heat for no reason! LOL

That is too Cute. Gotta heck of a kid. At least he/she knows who is in control of the "Fire" in your home.

2 weeks ago I was complaining about the rain, now I complain about the heat. I never complain about the cold though.

Franks said:
2 weeks ago I was complaining about the rain, now I complain about the heat. I never complain about the cold though.

Frank, we in Central NY always complain about the weather no matter what it is like. I guess it is less aggravating then complaining about high taxes.

DexterDay said:
That is too Cute. Gotta heck of a kid. At least he/she knows who is in control of the "Fire" in your home.

Your new name shall now be " The Fire Warrior"

Speaking of kids...my son at about 16 months old was in the room with me while I was trying to put down flooring. I was using one of those 100lb roller thingies.
Needless to say, I squashed a toe. I shouted out, with the proper inflection so it was obvious I wasnt looking to speak with my mom.....MOTHER..and I caught myself before I said the rest. No worries, my little year and half old boy finished it. Pronounced it perfect. (almost) Not that thats a great thing for a kid to learn and I'm ashamed that he must have heard me before...but to hear him say it with that cute little boy "See daddy, i'm helping you talk" smile just cracked me the heck up.

Since then, our family swear word is "holy moly" Which doesnt have the same affect, but it is better. He now says holy moly right along with us

Franks said:
Speaking of kids...my son at about 16 months old was in the room with me while I was trying to put down flooring. I was using one of those 100lb roller thingies.
Needless to say, I squashed a toe. I shouted out, with the proper inflection so it was obvious I wasnt looking to speak with my mom.....MOTHER..and I caught myself before I said the rest. No worries, my little year and half old boy finished it. Pronounced it perfect. (almost) Not that thats a great thing for a kid to learn and I'm ashamed that he must have heard me before...but to hear him say it with that cute little boy "See daddy, i'm helping you talk" smile just cracked me the heck up.

Since then, our family swear word is "holy moly" Which doesnt have the same affect, but it is better. He now says holy moly right along with us

That is Great.. The only time they can "Swear" is when they are that little and dont know any better. When it happens more than once, or there 10!!!! Its not funny.

My cousins growing up were terrible (from as far back as I could remember/ they were around 4). They had the worst mouths. I would have gotten a Whoopin from my Ol'Man.... But my Aunt and Uncle let it continue. Different strokes for different folks.

That is a really cute story.

Yours too Frank.

Yeah Dexter. I remember the same thing growin up. Some kids would just be swearin left and right, I would come home and say "crap" and my mom would whoop my arse

we didnt have any swearing in my house growing up, but I did have a dictionary (was forced to use it daily to learn words from the books I read, had to write them down & learn the meaning), so I know lots of not nice things to say, without resorting to swearing. Some of them are pretty insulting too, if only those I used them against knew those words. I still insult people in german when driving (so the boy doesn't pick up on it). Heck, you say anything in german with enough "zing" on it, and it sounds insulting. Kartoffleknudle! (could be spelled wrong, but thats potato salad).

I remember many years ago, my cocker spaniel got into a bunch of burs, as i was picking them out of his fur,i let out a f%*@in burs. well about two weeks later my 4 year old boy comes up to me and mom pointing at his shoe laces and says look dad futtin burs. I had to turn around cause i started laughin as did mom it was just so cute the way he said it and how he remembered it.

Franks said:

We say ... "Oh Bubbles!"

tsmith said:
I remember many years ago, my cocker spaniel got into a bunch of burs, as i was picking them out of his fur,i let out a f%*@in burs. well about two weeks later my 4 year old boy comes up to me and mom pointing at his shoe laces and says look dad futtin burs. I had to turn around cause i started laughin as did mom it was just so cute the way he said it and how he remembered it.

Kids are amazing when it comes to what they pick up on. I can spend a week trying to teach my son something simple and it just doesnt take. A few weeks ago I had to meet my wife and him to change the tire on their car. I didnt notice him paying too much attention. A week later we are out in the driveway and I had some tools out to work on the boat. Would you know, I see he grab a wrench, go over to the same tire on the car that we changed and he was tryin take the lugnut off with a 3/8" open end.

Franks said:
tsmith said:

Kids are amazing when it comes to what they pick up on. I can spend a week trying to teach my son something simple and it just doesnt take. A few weeks ago I had to meet my wife and him to change the tire on their car. I didnt notice him paying too much attention. A week later we are out in the driveway and I had some tools out to work on the boat. Would you know, I see he grab a wrench, go over to the same tire on the car that we changed and he was tryin take the lugnut off with a 3/8" open end.
Well looks like we will have a future pellet stove tech to help us on the forum.

My 5 year old son today asked me, "Dad, are those people with the jobs sending letters?"

"What do you mean?", I ask

"You know, if your job is better than their job and people don't have money because they don't like their job, then they send you a letter so they can work for you and then you don't have to work so much. Cause Dad, in the winter when you are working a lot I don't get to see you very much but now it's summer and you get to play with me more but if they other people worked at your job then you could play with me more all the time right?"

Does that make you want to cry or what?

Dang thats cute. Hey, he's 5. I'd start bringing him with me to work once in a while if I was my own boss.

Franks said:
Dang thats cute. Hey, he's 5. I'd start bringing him with me to work once in a while if I was my own boss.

The cute things kids say sometimes aren't so cute at a customer's house. That's happened before too. He helps around the shop when I bring stoves back to restore.

Thats great Scott. I try to spend every waking second I can with my boy. Cant wait till he's old enough to take out fishing with me. I'm gonna try it with him next summer when he's almost three. I already bought him all his gear.

So my twin 9 yr old boys and I decided to hit the local pond and put a line in, it was a very hot day here and not much going on (perfect for a fishing dock evening). I was sitting on the ground and tying on jigs, finsished up the first boy Marsh and off he went. As I was tying up the second boy Lou's line, he picked out a small jig that had not been used yet and still had the line islet painted over. I took another jig and bored out the line islet on the first jig with the second jig's hook, as we sat there doing this Lou says "Hey dad? What do you do with the very first jig?". Meaning how do you get that darn islet open if you don't have another jig to do it with? Chicken and egg deal right there, I just sat there laughing for a bit and Lou didn't see what was so funny and that just made it funnier. Love 'em, can't imagine life without them!

Hey, he was smart enough to ask the question. Thats great! I've been stuck once with a last jig getting the paint out of the eye with my teeth. That stunk.

So finish the story, how did the fishing go?

Fishing was slow. It was a lake we ice fished on last winter, we saw many fish on the camera at that time. Now we're wondering if the lake froze out, there was nothing going on at all. The boat awaits parts (plugs and wires) this week, then it's river time (St.Croix and Mississippi) for the summer. Bring it!

Status
Not open for further replies.