Things not to do when the power is out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the folks on this website drool over boilers and big storage tanks and are not interested in pictures of pretty young women.

I don't find it objectionable, just an unnecessary distraction without much purpose. Rest assured I would not let anything sleazy stand, and I would appreciate it if everyone would try to keep to the topic and intent of each thread whenever possible. That's just common courtesy. I like pretty girls and I like boilers, but usually not at the same time.

I don't recall seeing any pot growing in any of the pics posted here, and that's something I would notice. They got websites for that, too.

As to the issue of questionable installations, unsafe situations and incompetent professional services, most of us are here to help and be helped. Overt negativity is not a good way to do that, IMO. Understand that we have a wide range of systems, depicted and described, and not all are going to be up to code or everyone's definition of a quality job. I can't speak for anyone else, but my goal is help everyone improve what they've got, while learning in the process. Let's try to keep it positive whenever possible.

As to the issue of questionable installations, unsafe situations and incompetent professional services, most of us are here to help and be helped. Overt negativity is not a good way to do that, IMO. Understand that we have a wide range of systems, depicted and described, and not all are going to be up to code or everyone’s definition of a quality job. I can’t speak for anyone else, but my goal is help everyone improve what they’ve got, while learning in the process. Let’s try to keep it positive whenever possible.

Going back and reading over my posts I have come across more negative than I’d like. Please take this as being terse towards saving key stokes and time. My intent was only to point out that the mfgr specs were being strayed from. The audience I was gearing towards was people with little electrical acumen. By the models and sizes, approach, and testing of the UPS’es Pat and JE have selected they clearly know what they want out of the system, how to test for it, and how to address the problems. My “joke” was very poorly phrased and not funny.

I don't think negativity has been a problem at all in this forum (not compared to some, at least), and I don't expect it to become one, given the professionalism and maturity of our membership.

I do know as a writer that sarcasm and irony are dangerous areas to get into if you're not a skilled writer who specializes in that kind of stuff. Tempting though they may be at times. Humor is hard to convey in writing. If you go there, you have to be prepared to be misunderstood.

That said, I've read some pretty funny posts here, and I look forward to seeing more in the future. Some of you guys can be pretty darn witty, and I think it adds a lot to the forum.

Back on the UPS thread some one asked - Do they run on inverted DC power or just switch when the power goes out? The answer is both are available the small units for computers run on AC and switch when power goes below a certain level. There are many larger units that supply DC power all the time for large telecom and other systems that are setup to run on a DC input this is often done to isolate the systems from power surges.

The question about installing larger batteries in a small UPS. For those units with internal batteries and no provision to connect additional external batteries it is not a great idea to connect alot larger batteries, often I have seen people install slightly larger "replacement" batteries with no problems. The best solution for long term backup is to use one of the Chargerinverter units that allow for connection of battery packs to extend the run time.

"Batteries stored on concrete will die an early death". This is not true with modern batteries (old batteries with a not so well insulated case could lose some charge by sitting on the ground. Cold is a factor but if the battery is charged it greatly reduces the effect of the cold.
Back to the UPS factor batteries used with a UPS should last 5 to 7 years of normal use.

As far as the kitchen knife comment you may want to remove all the non electric knives until your generator is operational or get one of those chainmale sweaters.

Well, my recollection - CAUSE THAT'S ALL I HAVE NOW! - was that the offending pic was actually quite tasty, er I mean tastefull. Cept I would probably be more interested in her Mutha' :coolsmirk:

But anyway, back on topic . . . We never lost power, so we go on. I had a client a few years ago that worked propane for many years, and he said "I would never have propane at my house" !!! So currently we have a propane clothes dryer (not hooked up) the aforementioned Generac (similarly silent) and a decision to be made on a fireplace for the great room. Though I don't want wood in the house, I have been wondering if it wouldn't be smart to go with wood for those times when the electric does go out . . .

Or, I could figure out how to run the propane to three corners of the house . . .

Well since I didn't take the class I will learn the rules as I go

and become a better contributor

Ill keep my non pipe pictures to my self so Eric will not be further encouraged to edit my posting

very sorry I may have offended some - only intended to be coy

Kind Regards
Sting

ps still grinning thinking about the prevaricator with the puke on his shoes!
I need to remain positive like my new hero ISeeDeadBTU's
Well thats another learning curve.

Just to be clear, I've never edited a post, other than to fix the occasional typo. I have, on rare occasions, deleted posts, though it's been awhile.

I'm not the only mod with access to this forum, so it's possible that someone else did. Just not my style.

I like Web's patented mfg. smackdown but the puke on the shoes comment was, I must admit, icing on the cake (so to speak).

Ok, Back to topic, hope I did not offend.

Making that decision between Masonry heater or boiler system.
I just saw a Masonry heater in action with a DHW coil (Thermo-Siphon)
Put a stack of wood in the fire box (small splits), lite it up, 1-1/2 hours later You have a 80 gal tank full of hot water, and heat for the next 12 hours.
This would happen if the power was out for a week, no motors to burn out, no confusing controls, no fear of the wife and kids at home with the boiler going full steam and the power goes out.
It was the essance of simplicity - a pyro geek would be bored.

Nick

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Well, my recollection - CAUSE THAT'S ALL I HAVE NOW! - was that the offending pic was actually quite tasty, er I mean tastefull. Cept I would probably be more interested in her Mutha' :coolsmirk:

But anyway, back on topic . . . We never lost power, so we go on. I had a client a few years ago that worked propane for many years, and he said "I would never have propane at my house" !!! So currently we have a propane clothes dryer (not hooked up) the aforementioned Generac (similarly silent) and a decision to be made on a fireplace for the great room. Though I don't want wood in the house, I have been wondering if it wouldn't be smart to go with wood for those times when the electric does go out . . .

Or, I could figure out how to run the propane to three corners of the house . . .

If you are ever heading thru Illinois you can drop off that Generac at my house ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.