Things that make you wonder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blues

Jan 18, 2010
western PA
Pellet prices at all big box stores by me were 218 a ton 4.36 a bag the last 4 months.

All of a sudden everyone sold out of pellets last week??

called 4 stores monday the average amount on hand was 8 tons.

went to all 4 on thursday not a single bag to be found, ended up at a greenhouse paying 6 bucks a bag, better pellets though.

either this is the best example of inventory control or something stinks and its not the pellets

Well if what I saw at the local Wal-Mart is any indication I think they rotate their heavy landscaping inventory with their pellets. There were way too many of those "spring 2008 shortage year" pellets at the one near me this past winter, and I noticed they got swapped out for some gardening stuff in the past 2 weeks.

I also picked up some stuff at another place and inquired about some pellets, got to oh we sold a boatload of those this past year and our pre buy price is going to $299/ton. However I know from other sources that they didn't sell a boatload as their prices were out of line and better pellets were available for less in the same area.

One factor just may be that everyone is running out of their winter storage of pellets at the same time and it created a rush? I ran out last week and by reading the boards it seems that a lot of guys did also. What I do when I need something that is in short supply like that is when I call the store and they have it, I either ask them to hold it for me or give them my CC number over the phone and just prebuy it. Other wise it could be a long drive for nadda

Topshelf said:
One factor just may be that everyone is running out of their winter storage of pellets at the same time and it created a rush? I ran out last week and by reading the boards it seems that a lot of guys did also. What I do when I need something that is in short supply like that is when I call the store and they have it, I either ask them to hold it for me or give them my CC number over the phone and just prebuy it. Other wise it could be a long drive for nadda

That ole winter storage thingy huh.

I subscribe to the PPPPPP (proper planning prevents p---- poor performance) method and it hasn't let me down yet.

Always have a years supply plus a cushion before the snow flies, I kind of have to as getting a truck up the drive can be a major issue otherwise.

I'm on bags 219 and 220 in the hopper at this moment and am looking at 2011 in terms of supply. Likely I'll be buying about 3 ton this year, maybe 2.6 ton it won't be a lot unless I clean a few things out of the garage which is possible. Can someone please explain how stuff expands to fill all available storage space? I swear it breeds.

Oh yess the stuff breeds in the corners and has multiple litters every month.

I have seen the "Pellet shortage around here"
Come late winter ohhh say late Feb the stores just stop ordering and start putting in the garden stuff.

I asked the manager at one store and his reply was, "There is no call for pellets now"

I stopped buying from them and went over to the Farm store that stocks the stuff year round.
The Farm store always has a few tons in the warehouse even in July.
The really stock up come fall but unless there is a run on the stuff they are rarely out.

With our Primary fuel being the nut shells we dont stack in a huge stock of pellets but, usually 2 -3 tons.

This year we bought 1 ton early in the fall and then about late december I bought a used stove off craigs list with almost a full ton of pellets.

Sold the stove for more than I paid for the stove and the pellets and kept the pellets.

Ended up with $50 to the +++ and almost a ton of pellets free.

Yup thats the way to do it.

Sure does seem that the big box stores have a different idea about who and why people buy pellets.

I have even had sales people try to make me believe that NOBODY really heats their house with a pellet stove.

Just an ambience thing ya know ??????????????????/ :bug:

Overall it is definately better to have plenty on hand for the whole season and not need to run out and try to scare up some when your on your last 2-3 bags.

I remember one winter that we had a real shortage here and you could not buy a bag of pellets to save yer Butt.

Founf that the farm store had a couple ton of the Bedding pellets for horse stalls.

You know, those two tons fit right nice in the back of my DaHooooley pickup.

Burned real well too.

Same farm store was having a horse health seminar and we signed up, they had a raffle for the participants and we won a ton of those same bedding pellets.

Yup fed it to the stove, The horses got sawdust to sleep on.

On average, around here $200 a ton is about the best that can be found if you shop.

Snowy

A local box store said they had a very hard time selling pellets this year until about 3 weeks ago when they dropped the price and have now been cleaned out in time for spring stuff

SmokeyTheBear said:
Topshelf said:

That ole winter storage thingy huh.

I subscribe to the PPPPPP (proper planning prevents p---- poor performance) method and it hasn't let me down yet.

Always have a years supply plus a cushion before the snow flies, I kind of have to as getting a truck up the drive can be a major issue otherwise.

I'm on bags 219 and 220 in the hopper at this moment and am looking at 2011 in terms of supply. Likely I'll be buying about 3 ton this year, maybe 2.6 ton it won't be a lot unless I clean a few things out of the garage which is possible. Can someone please explain how stuff expands to fill all available storage space? I swear it breeds.

This was my first winter for the pellet stove. I put three tons in the garage and thought that was plenty to get me through the winter. it probably would have been except for the X factor which is my wife. She liked to turn up the stove during the day which means it ate more pellets than I was figuring on.
I figured an average of one bag a day through the whole winter. Well that one bag turned into 1.5 or more. Still cheaper than propane so no big deal.
No problem though as I have been burning corn at almost half the price of pellets in my area. Burns cleaner, hotter, longer, cheaper. Win win in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.