Things you see when cutting wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisg

Sep 6, 2007
NEK VT
While collecting a half cord today I had a very close encounter with a black bear.I was doing some stretching before beginning cutting and when I walked back around my Ranger utv I heard something scramble into the brush thinking it was a deer I didn't really pay much attention but to my surprise there was a bear about 20yds from me we both kind of stood there for a min. and then it took off ran up on a bank and we both tried to get a better look at each other.I think the wind was in my favor otherwise I doubt it would have stood around as long as it did.
Ya just don't see that kinda stuff sittin on the couch.Awesome awesome experience!

Only encounter with a black bear was when I was coming home from Scouts (age 13ish?). He was peering in side porch on his hind legs, saw him when I rounded the corner. Needless to say I busted a** in one direction and hopefully he the opposite.

Haven't seen any bears here, thankfully. But me and a big doe surprised each other yesterday coming from opposite directions around the end of the house.

Saw some bobcat track in the woods here a couple of years ago. That had me keeping an eye peeled for awhile. Them be some mean suckers.

Ya'll might enjoy this sequence taken recently in the middle of CT. It's a testimony to the dexterity of bears and the strength of nylon rope. Moral, use wire to hang the bird feeder. We're dealing with a similar problem with racoons and our feeder right now.

Attachments

• ATT00001.jpg
    ATT00001.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 539
  • ATT00002.jpg
    ATT00002.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 542
  • ATT00003.jpg
    ATT00003.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 521
  • ATT00004.jpg
    ATT00004.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 533
Wow, great pix! Agile is right. I sure couldn't do what that bear's doing.

Got a big male raccoon raiding my bird feeders, pulling down the hummer feeder, smashing it open and lapping up the sugar water, etc. Only solution I've been able to find short of shooting the thing is bringing the feeders in at night and putting 'em out again in the AM. I'm counting on the acres of field corn across the road being more attractive to him than my pitiful bird feeders when it really gets going. That or a fast car on the road! I don't like to shoot him just because he's inconveniencing me. He's just trying to make a living. But if he gets too much into my vegetable garden, I may reconsider.

About 2 weeks after moving in here in 06, had a black bear mosey through the back yard while I was sitting in the then unclosed breezeway. He was about 30' away. I love the woods.

Chrisg said:
While collecting a half cord today I had a very close encounter with a black bear.I was doing some stretching before beginning cutting and when I walked back around my Ranger utv I heard something scramble into the brush thinking it was a deer I didn't really pay much attention but to my surprise there was a bear about 20yds from me we both kind of stood there for a min. and then it took off ran up on a bank and we both tried to get a better look at each other.I think the wind was in my favor otherwise I doubt it would have stood around as long as it did.
Ya just don't see that kinda stuff sittin on the couch.Awesome awesome experience!

Right on Chrisg....its so nice to just get out into the woods...even if it is to do some work...Just another reason why I love to burn wood.

Last month I was bending over to drop a dead elm and found about two dozen morals.......Best find all year.

Gator Eye- Should distribute those morals in D.C.

Now if you found morels- that would be delicious LOL
I planted mushrooms recently (made a patch). You can get plugs innoculated with spawn that you bang into drilled holes in stumps- helps break down stumps when you cut, and you grow delicious shrooms!

Last winter while cutting and splitting some dead wood in the field I stopped to service the chain saw and noticed a coyote sitting on a trail checking me out. Seen quite a few deer over the years...one time I was about to cut a split trunk maple and right in the crotch where I was going to cut I noticed a large nest of well concealed mud wasps just before I started up. Can't believe I didn't see that at first though. No bears...

Adios Pantalones said:
Gator Eye- Should distribute those morals in D.C.

Now if you found morels- that would be delicious LOL
I planted mushrooms recently (made a patch). You can get plugs innoculated with spawn that you bang into drilled holes in stumps- helps break down stumps when you cut, and you grow delicious shrooms!

LOL...good stuff there....

Were did you find the muchroom spawn plugs???? I'ld love to try that.

www.fungi.com

I also have a "mushroom patch" that I've started with yard debris etc.- but it takes a year or so to get shrooms.
They sell chainsaw oil infused with spores- if you're going to cut and leave stuff- might as well grow mushrooms and speed up the wood decay.

We had a black bear in our neighborhood recently here in suburban Richmond! Must have wandered down the railroad tracks from the country....

BeGreen said:
Ya'll might enjoy this sequence taken recently in the middle of CT. It's a testimony to the dexterity of bears and the strength of nylon rope. Moral, use wire to hang the bird feeder. We're dealing with a similar problem with racoons and our feeder right now.

That's outrageous . . certainly pays homage to 'never try to climb a tree to escape a bear'

Was splitting wood one night, I looked to my left and I saw a black bear on its back legs painting in my neighbors kitchen! Then I realized it was my neighbor Chris painting in his underwear! :lol:

What was it in his underwear that he was painting? :bug: Rick

Great pics of the bear, I wouldn't have believed they could do that. So much for hanging stuff up when out camping ;-)

Cheers

;-)

Rick I never thought much more about it, Chris my neighbor is a big guy, now that I think about it, I hope he was using a brush! :bug:

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.