things you wish you hadn't done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a tiny Honda Fit that surprisingly can hold about 9.5 feet of lumber on the inside. Borrowed a friend's 9.5' kayak and was showing her that I think -- just maybe -- I can transport it inside the car with the rear hatch down. Only needed about 3 more inches so I gave it a good push with the hatch and it fit! But I pushed the other end of the kayak, resting on my dashboard, through the windshield. Oops.

It's just like the bumper sticker says, Sh__ happens.

I took the family camping. Back into a sloping spot. Did not chaulk the tires. (wish I had). Unhooked from the hitch and pulled the truck down. Got out to see the camper rolling full steam down hill and into my truck bumper. Luckily - my wife and kids were no where near it and no one got hurt - except my pride as other campers looked on and my wife - lost total faith in my abilities with camping. I knew better too. Just got in a hurry.

roundoak16 said:
firefighterjake said:
I learn from other people's mistakes . . .

I have seen at least two back windows in pick-ups taken out by winches, racks, etc. . . . so I'm always very cognizant of how I load my ATV.

I have seen my buddy take out his back window while throwing wood haphazardly into the bed . . . so I tend to place vs. toss the wood in the bed.

That said . . . sometimes I don't learn very well from my own mistakes. A few years ago I was backing my wife's car out of the garage . . . and forgot to put the garage door up . . . had to replace a few panes of glass and fix some of the garage door woodwork . . . and then had to do the same thing about three weeks later when I did the same thing . . . second time was the charm though . . . now I always look as a matter of habit.

Were those "back windows taken out by winches" or back windows taken out by wenches? The spelling makes a big difference!

HehHeh . . . winches . . . definitely winches.

Black widows and wenches can be a potent combo.

Everybody does it ! I had a 79 Sierra Grande that I drove to my buddies house unloaded and backed out with the tailgate down it fell off and I backed right over it. Hahaha I was so mad I threw it in the truck and drove off only to realize it was loose and I lost it somewhere never to be found ! I spent two days backtracking and never did find it I am still mifed 10 years later lol

Pete

Hit myself in the head with the ax(luckily the dull end) yesterday. I have a couple cords of ash blocks in a pile out back of the shed. So I am splitting right away using the ax because it is splitting so nicely .I get to one block of wood and it has a knot facing me and it was a little tougher...........So then , I walk around 90* of it to get a better angle. 1 second later after the ax knocks me to the ground I remember the dog's cable run strung overhead .It acted like a very good spring with the coil springs on each end and 40' of cable in between. 3rd time in my life I have been hit hard enough in the head that it sounded like I stuck my head in a barrel and hit it. Bongg..gggg..gggg lol(no I will not go in depth on the other times, they were pretty stupid also). Thankfully I am hard headed. Now I have a lump on my forehead and head the size of a golf ball.

back in Oct. while backing the atv onto the ramps of my very tall f-250 with a good sized buck strapped to the rear rack I forgot about the effects of gravity - going atv over tea-kettle sure is a lousy way to remember.

yooperdave said:
had the window fixed today, while i was at work. still can't believe i did that!

almost everyone i told had the same reaction---immediate laughter! even my insurance rep was laughing over the phone.

Don't feel bad. My brother works as a top mechanic at an ATV dealership. He has seen his fair share of broken glass from atv winches. :lol:

I came out of walmart one time and started laughing to myself "who's the moron who parked a car in the lot with the trailer blocking the aisle... OHHH" oops!

Hearth Related thing I wish I hadn't done. I pulled the splitter out of my shop, checked the oil and it was over half full. I started up the splitter and waited for it to warm up before applying full throttle and getting started on the days rounds. After splitting just a few splits the splitter died. I checked the gas and blew out the air filter. Started the splitter. It ran a half minute and died. pulled the rope a few times and nothing. Waited 5 minutes and it started first pull and died again. I pulled the rope a few times then took the carburetor apart. Spent an hour working on this thing. Called the guy I co-own the splitter with. He asked if I had checked the oil. I said yep and it was half full. he said it had a low oil sensor that was kicking it off. I wasn't parked on even ground. I put 1/4 quart of oil in it and it ran the rest of the day. I was aggravated.

yooperdave,
You just need some balast. A nice piece of 6x6 in the front of that box will
keep that from happeinig again............
rn

Hauling jag of railroad timbers ten of them if i remeber correctly to terrace my garden bed next to the driveway. My driveway is as steep as a horse's face, you can't see over the hood at the top, and basically just have to go regardless of whats there. So ~2000lbs railroad ties hanging off the back of my shortbed, I had a strap across the tailgate to the bumper as I've lost much lighter loads going up the driveway.
Well needless to say, I forgot to drop it into granny gear but had a good running start, Ole Blue came to a slow crawl at the top of the driveway front tires began to raise, timbers slide back further and I'm looking at the sky. Instead of staying on it and just losing the load, i panic and brake - dumb move. In my quick thinking i forget that rear drums are pretty much shot, parking brake will barely hold it on a semi flat surface.
So backwards I go down the 350ft hill timbers teeter tottering on the tailgate. I decide to back it left as there are more trees on that side to stop me. Railroad ties "cushion" the stop as the front tires are cut full left skipping off the driveway. Ole blue comes to a halt timbers jammed up in the bed. I can't open the drivers door, frame looks to be twisted ~8inches. The front of the bed is 6+ inches past the window on drivers side and 4 inches low on passsenger side.
So after a cold one and a few whew that was close. I have to unload each one of these stuck timbers onto my fourwheeler trailer and up the hill. All this with what i later learned was a L5-S1 herniated disc(happened in the previous month, I'm sure this helped the healing process)
Should have taken a picture of how the truck ended up. She straightened right out, well sort of, a few good loads later it looks fairly level.

Status
Not open for further replies.