Think I may have some black locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I ran into a big scrounge and was told by the homeowner she has 10 oak trees and another one, maybe maple cut down. I didnt see any maple when I loaded the wood into the truck. Tonight I went out and tried my new 13lb maul on a round and it just kept bouncing off, Im thinking this thing sucks, then I tried another round about the same size and it split like nothing. Im doing all this in the dark with a streetlight for light so Im not seeing these rounds all that well. I then tried the Fiskars on the hard to split round and it was a bear, nothing like the red oak rounds Ive split. I got a spotlight and inspected the round and its got a different bark than the oak, also the wood looks different, once I split it it was a light ring on the outside and dark in the middle, a different color than the oak.
Ill take a pic tomorrow and see what everyone thinks

a pic will definitely help

pen

Doesn't sound like any black locust I know of. BL is the same yellowish-green color all the way through. And it falls apart at the mere sight of a maul/splitting axe.

I hope it.is.locust!. Cause man, I go out every day and look at mine! We don't get our hands on it to much around here... Crossing my fingers for ya!

CountryBoy19 said:
Doesn't sound like any black locust I know of. BL is the same yellowish-green color all the way through. And it falls apart at the mere sight of a maul/splitting axe.

Yep very easy to split and burns Sweeet!

smokinjay said:
CountryBoy19 said:

Maybe not then, I thought it was hard to split. If it ever stops raining Ill go out and take a pic to see what I have. Im on a quest to find some black locust, guess Ill have to keep looking.

weatherguy said:
smokinjay said:
CountryBoy19 said:

Maybe not then, I thought it was hard to split. If it ever stops raining Ill go out and take a pic to see what I have. Im on a quest to find some black locust, guess Ill have to keep looking.

This was split for a couple days but its very yellow to the outter edge.

Attachments

• id.jpg
    id.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 459
  • id 2.jpg
    id 2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 470
Looks like the Siberian elm i have been working on, but i am a newbie :)

kattpound said:

nah, that looks like this...welcome to the forum

Attachments

• 101910 Elm split on splitter.jpg
    101910 Elm split on splitter.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 416
SolarAndWood said:
kattpound said:

nah, that looks like this...welcome to the forum

You will know when its Black locust, You will find thorns as well. Bright yellow on a fresh split looks alot like mulberry and or hedge.

smokinjay said:
You will know when its Black locust

when you try to pick it up and put it in the trailer :lol:

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
You will know when its Black locust

when you try to pick it up and put it in the trailer :lol:

Boy oh Boy...Isnt that the truth? ;-P

Stuff is dense.

I don't see Black Locust so much as a yellow but more of a Gold! :cheese:

If it is b/l, good for you. It grows like weeds around here in sandy hillsides. I burned about a half cord last winter from a blow down the year before. It likes a hot fire, tends to get coaly and smells bad if not seasoned enough or burned at too low of a temp. Other that that it will give you a nice hot fire. Your pic color is a little off, but it looks right for b/l. You'll enjoy burning it.

Love Black Locust..My favorite ...Practically splits as soon as you put it on the splitter.. :)

Did you get a picture yet?
Anybody got a picture of split honey locust so we can compare the 2?

iceman said:

Attachments

• locust split.jpg
    locust split.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 232
So honey is like red oak with the white trim, but golden instead of red...
Black locust is the yellow color no white trim on the edge but instead has dark color in the middle...
Is that an accurate way to describe it to someone? Based off these pictures and assuming honey can be with/without thorns?

iceman said:
Black locust is the yellow color no white trim on the edge but instead has dark color in the middle...
Is that an accurate way to describe it to someone? Based off these pictures and assuming honey can be with/without thorns?

Sapwood on bl is white but only about a 1/4 inch thick.

iceman said:
Did you get a picture yet?

Honey Locust (not split though ;-) )

Attachments

• honeylocustfootstool40111.jpg
    honeylocustfootstool40111.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 187
  • large honey locust bowl.jpg
    large honey locust bowl.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 193
  • large honey locust bowl 2.jpg
    large honey locust bowl 2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 221
  • large honey locust bowl 3.jpg
    large honey locust bowl 3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 203
iceman said:

I've never seen a mature honey locust without thorns (the giant kind). There a lot of ornamental locust hybrids out there that are thonrless and you might encounter one in a yard tree....but there are no thornless locusts in the woods (around here anyway...check local listings).

Status
Not open for further replies.