Think I need to add a blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snj2k2se

Jan 10, 2008
South Jersey
I've been using my Avalon Rainier insert about 18/7 for the past five years, but now that the wife is trained and comfortable loading the stove, I am a true 24/7 burner.

My problem is when it gets into the 20s and below, i just don't get enough heat out of it to do the job, and the heater runs much more than I'd like.

I have the extended hearth setup, for those of you who've never seen one, it's an insert that sits most of the way out of the fireplace onto the hearth.
It was a direct vent that I added a full liner to last year which has improved the performance tremendously.
Now I'd like to take it to the next step and possibly add a blower to try and overcome the sub-freezing days and nights.

My question is can I just add a blower to this stove? From what I've seen of them, I can. The local shop wasn't a lot of help. They seemed more interested in selling me a new stove then a blower for this one. Also do you know of a good place to buy a blower for an Avalon? Doesn't appear that you can buy one online.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, actually the one on page 42 looks like what I have seen. I called a dealer today, was told $399. Sounds a little steep for a box with a squirrel cage in it.

Yikes $399!! Didn't know they were that expensive.

I was resistant to getting one but the dealer said ...'if after a month we didn't like it he'd buy it back at full price'. Makes a big difference on the colder day's plus if you burn WOT the blower keeps the stove cooler.

I recommend a blower that operates on a rheostat. There's a whole lot of speeds between low and medium that'll serve you well and quietly.

Yeah, a little steep, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet.

My next question is can you run the stove with the blower off? Because of the way the insert sits so far out of the fireplace it gives off a good amount of radiant heat.
If it's in the upper 30's it will run you out of the family room, which I would think the blower would only make worse.
Do I have to worry about the blower motor cooking when it isn't running?

Sure you can run it without the blower. For what I gather reading this forum conventional wisdom dictates that inserts almost always require a blower...and the great majority of insert owners agree with that. There are some folks that have inserts just for emergency backup heat or 'mood' purposes...they would be the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.