Think I Scored One From Sandy: Cut from Top or Bottom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. Well, I'm not going to spend more time hauling any more than I have home. I'll clean up the site, stack the wood by the road and someone is sure to take it. I realize this makes me a bad person, but I can live with that.

Thanks, everybody. I'll see if I can split the suspicious rounds on site, where I can then haul the slash to a burn pile. I was quite pleased with how easy it was cutting up a tree lying on the ground. One deep cut, hammer in a wedge, then finish the same cut. It helped save my chain, for sure.

This I do not understand. If the log is on the ground and you drive a wedge in so you can finish the cut, when you finish your chain is touching good ole Mother Earth. Best way I know of to dull a chain. Leave the wedge in your pocket and roll that log before finishing the cut and you won't have to sharpen so often which will make the chain last a lot longer too.

I dont understand. Is poplar softwood? I thought it was hardwood.

It is commonly referred to as softwood. Technically, any tree that drops leaf is a hardwood.

This I do not understand. If the log is on the ground and you drive a wedge in so you can finish the cut, when you finish your chain is touching good ole Mother Earth. Best way I know of to dull a chain. Leave the wedge in your pocket and roll that log before finishing the cut and you won't have to sharpen so often which will make the chain last a lot longer too.

Savage, I understand your confusion. But when I first started cutting up the trees it was impossible for me to roll them over in order to make cuts on both sides. I don't think my chain went into the dirt, but maybe it did.

I dont understand. Is poplar softwood? I thought it was hardwood.

As my father used to tell me . . . "Poplar is a soft hardwood . . . and hemlock is a hard softwood."

Softwood typically refers to conifers (evergreens) . . . hardwoods typically refer to the deciduous (leaf bearing) trees . . . not so much the density of the wood.

Hmm. Well, I'm not going to spend more time hauling any more than I have home. I'll clean up the site, stack the wood by the road and someone is sure to take it. I realize this makes me a bad person, but I can live with that.

Personally I would take it . . . sure it may not be the best wood to burn for an overnight burn in middle of January . . . but it seasons relatively quickly and makes a great shoulder season fire or a fire for when you're home in the evening or nights. Think of it as a good karma building exercise . . . plus as noted . . . taking some of this now and cleaning it all up may result in future (better) scores if the person recommends you to others.

Savage, I understand your confusion. But when I first started cutting up the trees it was impossible for me to roll them over in order to make cuts on both sides. I don't think my chain went into the dirt, but maybe it did.

Ya, it is pretty hard to not touch the ground with the chain and that dulls it fast. I was reminded of this just today. I had to cut a couple trees (small ones) and the darned chain was really dull. Then I remembered that I had dug up a big root when we found some stuff growing up in the garden and I simply cut them with the chain saw. So, a quick filing and all was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.