Think I'm getting taken to the cleaners...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

techguy

Dec 27, 2013
Central, Wisconsin
Hey all,

Just wanted to get your opinion on my recent LP fill up and see if the numbers adds up for anyone else. Last week I had called my local LP provider to come put my final 100 gallons of pre-bought (1.43 a gallon) in as well as put another 100 gallons in at 4.09 a gallon (called around and price matched). So as of yesterday my tank was at 16-17% as per the gauge on the tank. Today they put in the 200 gallons I requested and the percentage of the tank now sits at 40%. Mind you my tank is a standard 500 gallon tank, which my provider told me that they do not hold a true 500 gallons, in fact last week when i asked them they said they hold 400 gallons.

So this is where I'm confused.

200/500 = 40%
200/400 = 50%

My tank was at a minimum of 15%, they wrote 10% on the paper. So either way I should be sitting at at least 55% at a true 500 gallon tank or 65% at a 400 gallon tank.

The shop was not being heated last night and my house is roughly 1300 sq ft and i have my pellet stove going in the basement so the LP furnace wasn't running much at all and that's all that uses LP on my property. (-29 here this morning)

I understand expansion and contraction due to the weather but there's no way it'll contract that much from my findings.

So there it is, am I missing something in my calculations or am I being taken to the cleaners?

Last edited:
If it is aboveground 80% or 400gl is max due to exp. at various temps.

It sounds like they didn't even offer a courtesy reach-a-round:confused:

Yes, the tank is above ground and will be going back to their yard as soon as my contract is up.

So the gauge on the top of the tank will measure 100% for 500 gallons, and 80%, which is the max, at 400 gallons. So that's good to know anyways. So 40% would be accurate for 200 gallons IF my tank was empty...which it wasn't.

Bingo unless the gauge is toast which is unlikely.

I personally would go apechit if I got shorted 50 gal @ $4.09

When they fill my tank I get a printed receipt from a terminal in their truck showing gallons delivered adjusted to temperature. They fill tanks here to 85% since it's cool up here and blow off from expansion is less likely in the summer. Call your supplier and tell them your concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.