Think I'm ready to buy the Osburn...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGriz

Thanks to a lot of research and tons of great information here, I think I'm ready to buy my insert. I wanted to post what I came up with and see if anyone will give me feedback as to my decission. I will be purchsaing the insert this weekend; I wanted to leave time for input from all of you.

I had it narrowed down to the Napoleon 1401, Lopi Revere and the Osburn 1800 or 2200. These inserts seemed to be very comparable as far as their specification are concerned and any of them will fit my existing masonary fireplace and should throw plenty of heat. From there I eliminated the Napoleon 1401 and the Lopi Revere based on looks. I really love the big bay window of the Osburn and wanted an insert that would sit out a bit from the fireplace opening, rather than being flush with the brick surround.

That brought me to the 1800I vs the 2200I. Since my existing masonary fireplace is large enough for either, I chose to go with the bigger 2200I. Many of you know the basics of my install from other posts. Being installed in the lower level of an 1800 square foot tri-level with existing electric baseboard heat throughout (no forced air system or ductwork). I run my business from my home and my office is in the lower level with the fireplace. I am hoping to heat this level, as well as the main level of the home (kitchen / dining and living rooms), if some heat migrates to the upper level bedroooms that's a bonus. I did not want to cook myself out of the office to do this, but I figure I can build a smaller fire in the big firebox of the 2200I in spring or fall. Once I filled the box on the 1800, that's it, maxed out. Therefore, the Osburn 2200I seems to be the winner. Does this logic seem to make sense, or am I missing something big?

I am planning to buy the insert and ss chimney liner locally and do the install myself. The dealer is fine with me doing the install, but requires that they send a technician out first to inspect and measure the existing fireplace. I was impressed with that service, since I am the one doing the install.

One question I have from some other posts I have read is should I insulate the chimney liner? The chimney is on an outside wall and is a approximately 20' from the top of the insert to the top of the chimney. I have read that there can be problems with the draft from chimneys on exterior walls. I currently burn the open fireplace and do not have trouble with the chimney drafting well. Since this will be my first experience with a wood burning insert, I'm not sure what to expect once the liner is in.

I would really appreciate any feedback regarding my decission. :roll: I know I have asked a bunch of questions, but I really want to avoid making a mistake with this.

I can buy the insert with the ss liner and faceplate for $2,530.00 (that's doing the install myself). Does that sound like a fair price?

Anyone...Bueller...Bueller...Bueller....

I think you made a wise decision on the larger insert if your trying to heat more than the downstairs. As far as insulating the liner, I would try without first and see how she drafts. Or do what I did with my outside chimney and wrap the first few feet from the top and let the air space inbetween insulate.

Did you check out the Jotul Kennebec? You can extend it onto your hearth, although you don't need to, and it throws a TON of heat.

P.S. - DEFINATELY install a SS liner, and insulation if it's an exterior chimney. It makes a big difference...

recppd said:
Did you check out the Jotul Kennebec? You can extend it onto your hearth, although you don't need to, and it throws a TON of heat.

P.S. - DEFINATELY install a SS liner, and insulation if it's an exterior chimney. It makes a big difference...

I dissagree.

Not on the Jotul....A very nice stove!!!

As you all know I have an Osburn 1800i. It's running right now...an assortment of willow, pine and Ash burning. I have an un-insulated liner installed in an outside chimney that is a double wall Majestic chimney. It's about 23' tall, and the only time draft is a problem is when outside temps go over 50...but then again all the windows are open to vent all the heat.

I'd go with the 2200 if you can. My 1800 heats my 2200 sqft, but a larger stove is better in this case and will be able to be damped down just fine. I Believe a 2200 is a slightly taller 1800.

I believe the Lopi Revere is a nice stove, but the Osburn (and Quad with the bay window) are among the best looking inserts out there. (I must say the VC WW Larger is darned nice too...Oh and the hearthstone's Wheww....I'm glad I finally bought a stove last year)

If you want an Osburn, go with the 2200. The 1800 will do the job...but you won't regret the 2200...you'll wonder about the 1800.

Back to the draft...If you have a problem...THEN insulate it. My stove and chimney combo burns very clean! No Draft problems..

Thanks for the reply.
I did look at the Jotul, but I like the design of the Osburn a little better. I don't really care for the iron (metal) over the glass on the Jotul. The dealer also wanted a lot more $.$$ for the Jotul.
Still back and forth on insulating the ss liner

Thanks Warren,
Looks like we were typing at the same time. That's interesting about your chimney. How difficult is it to insulate the liner after it has been installed? In case I do have a draft problem. Will I have to remove the liner, or is there some way to insulate while it is in place?
Thanks for the input.

The Osburn inserts are really nice. They have the door opening handle on the right hand side. Like God intended! Open the stove with your left hand, feed it with your right hand. Yes!

MrGriz said:
Thanks for the reply.
I did look at the Jotul, but I like the design of the Osburn a little better. I don't really care for the iron (metal) over the glass on the Jotul. The dealer also wanted a lot more $.$$ for the Jotul.

You mentioned $2530, I believe, for the stove and liner. That's almost identical to what I paid for my Jotul and an insulated 316T stainless liner.

When I said an insulated liner made a "big difference", I wasn't just referring to performance. Most warm flues will draft well. More important is the creosote buildup that is lessened by an insulated chimney, especially in an exterior chase / flue. I burned about 11 cords of wood over the past two seasons before I cleaned my liner this year. I got approx. ONE CUP of fine dust after a vigorous scrubbing!

recppd said:
MrGriz said:
Thanks for the reply.

You mentioned $2530, I believe, for the stove and liner. That's almost identical to what I paid for my Jotul and an insulated 316T stainless liner.

When I said an insulated liner made a "big difference", I wasn't just referring to performance. Most warm flues will draft well. More important is the creosote buildup that is lessened by an insulated chimney, especially in an exterior chase / flue. I burned about 11 cords of wood over the past two seasons before I cleaned my liner this year. I got approx. ONE CUP of fine dust after a vigorous scrubbing!

Same deal with an uninsulated liner... so...burn first and if it's not working...pull the liner and insulate it. If I had to reinstall my liner, I'm sure I could do it in 1/3 the time. Initial liner install...about 4.5 hours... not that it's cut to length etc... I'm sure an insulate and reinstall would be like 2 hours max.

Hello

I got the Osburn 2200 i insert and I bought it primarly from the good reviews Warren gave( thanks Warren). I got it from Obidiah's and had it installed and saved 900 dollars from what the local dealer was offering it for with installation. Love the bay window. Go for the Osburn . Liner is not insulated I'll keep you posted when it gets really cold out to see theres any drafting issues.

We got our Osburn 1800 with the insulated liner----installed by the dealer and ended up paying about $2700. We ordered mid-August and it was all in and burning by the first week of September. Ordering off-season saved us a few hundred bucks and a longer wait.
We didn't really consider not insulating the liner---we figured we were spending so much anyway and being an exterior chimney along with us being newbies, we wanted as few 'issues' as possible. Not that you'd have issues without it---in our case we could afford it and didn't want to have to pull it later if need be.

Glad you went for the 2200 MrGriz---think you'll love it. We find with ours that instead of trying to keep smaller fires going long it's better (and cleaner) to burn a fast hot one for awhile then let it go out--- by the time the living room is getting uncomfortable it's time for bed anyway and the temp. back there is perfect. So far at least the house holds the heat long enough for the stove to cool down and let me clean the glass. Maybe time it so it's hottest when you're not down there and cooling down when you are?

Thanks for all the great info, keep it coming!

It is definitely going to be the 2200I. I am going to install the liner uninsulated and if need be retro it later. I'm up against two things, time and money. Normally I have a lot more time than money...right now, I don't have much of either. :cheese: I think the draft will be fine and if I have to clean it a bit more often, well then so be it.

By the way BB, I agree...That is just the way it should be!

Griz did you look at or get a comparison quote on a Quadrafire Bodega Bay? Just wondering if it was in the comparison research.

BG,
No, I did not get a comparison quote on the Bodega Bay. When I stopped at the Quadrafire dealer, he told me that was not an option for my application. Now that you bring it up though, it seems like it would fit. After taking a look at the literature, I do like the way it looks; very much like the Osburn 2200. It looks like there is a larger flat area above the door. I am not looking to use the insert for cooking, but would like to be able to put a kettle of water on top for humidity. I will have to look into the Quadrafire a bit closer.

This is one big reason I wanted to post this thread well before I went out to purchase my insert.

Thanks! :wow:

MrGriz said:
BG,
No, I did not get a comparison quote on the Bodega Bay. When I stopped at the Quadrafire dealer, he told me that was not an option for my application. Now that you bring it up though, it seems like it would fit. After taking a look at the literature, I do like the way it looks; very much like the Osburn 2200. It looks like there is a larger flat area above the door. I am not looking to use the insert for cooking, but would like to be able to put a kettle of water on top for humidity. I will have to look into the Quadrafire a bit closer.

This is one big reason I wanted to post this thread well before I went out to purchase my insert.

Thanks! :wow:

be sure you price the Quad WITH a blower. You'll buy the Osburn.

Oh boy Warren,
I just got off the phone with the Quad dealer:

Osburn 2200I with surround, blower (standard) and 25' ss liner kit -- $2,530.00 (plus the governor's cut)

Ouadrafire Bodega Bay with surround, blower and 25' ss liner kit -- $2,500.00 (plus the governor's cut)

Damn, now I have to get in the truck and drive to the quad dealerto look again... :-S

Anyone have any feedback on or experience with the Quadra-Fire Bodega Bay?

Hmmm...that's a great price for the Quad (IMOHO) Very nice looking stove and a slightly larger firebox than the Osburn. Efficiency looks good. Man those are evenly matched stoves. Quads have a great reputation too.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either. I do like my Osburn...but I'm not an Osburn biggot. Lots of other stoves out there that are very nice. (I'd actually be a Lopi owner if I could have gotten one, and I didn't look at the hearthstone...and I do wish I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.