thinking about a new saw........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce56bb

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2005
Flint Hills of Kansas
i currently have a mid 90's husky 51 with an 18' bar. i am very happy with the saw but am thinking about upgrading. i cut only 4-6 cords a year.
i think the only relatively close dealers carry stihl or husky so dolmar is not an option.
what replaced the 51?
is the xp series worth the extra $$$?
thanks in advance.
bruce

bruce56bb said:
i currently have a mid 90's husky 51 with an 18' bar. i am very happy with the saw but am thinking about upgrading. i cut only 4 6 cords a year.
i think the only relatively close dealers carry stihl or husky so dolmar is not an option.
what replaced the 51?
is the xp series worth the extra $$$?
thanks in advance.
bruce

Hey Bruce .

Are you looking at only running and owning 1 chainsaw or do you want a bigger (or smaller limbing) chainsaw to add to the 51 ? (or equial size just to replace the 51)

And yes . To me the XP saw are worth the $$

Your trees and my trees are about the same (Kansas - Nebraska ) I would look at the Husqvarna 357XP if looking to own only 1 chainsaw. The Stihl MS361 is in the same class as the 357XP but the average price for the MS 361 around here is $579-$615. You should be able to pick up the Husky 357XP from $470.-$499.

The Husqvarna 359 is also a good saw 59cc / 3.9 hp 12.1 lbs
the 357xp is a great saw 56.5cc / 4.4 hp / 12.1 lbs

Bailey's on line store:
http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/5341?mv_session_id=KyVU7Pcs&product_sku=HU 357XP

spike, i hear so much positive info about the xp series i'm curious, will there be a night/day differance between the 51 and the the 357xp?

bruce56bb said:
spike, i hear so much positive info about the xp series i'm curious, will there be a night/day differance between the 51 and the the 357xp?

O'Yeah , night and day difference in my oppinion The RPM of the 357XP is 14000 and the 51 is 12500 , there is a lot of difference right there.
The 51 has 3.1 hp and the 357XP has 4.4

If ya ever had a chance to shoot up to lower Nebraska I'd let you take some XP saws out for a whirl. I couldnt believe the difference until i ran the XP saws.
Our ole buddy ELK just picked up a 357XP and posted a thread on it if you want to look it up.

Below is the listed information on your 51

Husqvarna 51:
MANUFACTURED BY: HUSQVARNA VAPENFABRIKS AB
HUSKVARNA, SWEDEN
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER:
YEAR INTRODUCED: 1990
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 51cc (3.1 cu. in.)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE: 45 mm (1.77 in.)
PISTON STROKE: 32 mm (1.26 in.)
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome plated bore
INTAKE METHOD: Piston ported
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.: 3.1 (2.3kW)
WEIGHT : 5.2kg (11.4 lbs.) powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION: One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM: Anti-vibration
CHAIN BRAKE: Inertia activated
CLUTCH: Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE: Direct
CONSTRUCTION: Injection molded plastic, die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE: Electronic
CARBURETOR: Walbro WT-170 series
ZAMA C1Q-EL6, C1Q-EL7
MAJOR REPAIR KIT: K20-WAT for Walbro
RB-45 for ZAMA
MINOR REPAIR KIT: D10-WAT for Walbro
GND-33 for ZAMA
AIR FILTER SYSTEM: Nylon mesh cartridge
STARTER TYPE: Automatic rewind
OIL PUMP: Automatic
OPERATING RPM: 12,500 max free after break in
IGNITION TIMING: fixed
BREAKER POINT SETTING: none
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP: 0.30 mm (0.012 in.)
SPARK PLUG TYPE: Bosch WSR7F/WS7F, NGK BPMR7A, Champion RCJ7Y
SPARK PLUG GAP: 0.50 mm (0.020 in.)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS: Ball
FUEL TANK CAPACITY: 600ml (20.2 fl. oz.)
FUEL OIL RATIO: 50:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Regular grade
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: Electrolux approved oil, Husqvarna mix oil
CHAIN PITCH: .325 in.
CHAIN TYPE:
BAR MOUNT PATTERN: 01 link
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 33cm (13 in.)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 50cm (20 in.)
COLOUR SCHEME: Husqvarna Orange
PAINT CODES:
ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST:
SERVICE MANUAL:

Hi -

I went Dolmar 5100S - very happy. If I didn't get the Dolmar I was torn between the Husky 353 and 359... For lighter work the 353 might get the nod.

ATB,
Mike P

spike, i'm wondering if i'd be happier with the 346xp,mainly because of the weight difference? it has more hp than the 51 it would be replacing in a smaller/lighter package.
thoughts?

i would love to go to wymore,ne. someday to check out your setup, it's just darn hard to get away.

bruce56bb said:
spike, i'm wondering if i'd be happier with the 346xp,mainly because of the weight difference? it has more hp than the 51 it would be replacing in a smaller/lighter package.
thoughts?

I understand about getting away Bruce.
As for the 346XP , this is a super chainsaw and if your only looking at cutting smaller trees under 18"-20" then it might work very well for you , If you are cutting 18" - 36" diameter hardwood trees then the bigger chainsaw would fit the bill and be better classed.

Now for people in an areas with softer wood then the 346XP would really shine full time but when it comes to Oak , Hedge ect in our area then its going to be a work out in larger stuff.
I use my 346XP 60%-70% of the time and have the 372XP for the bigger hard woods and large tree felling.

My thoughts on firewood cutting is at least 2 chainsaws , its always hard to get 1 great all around saw for large woods and also for limbing. Sense your used to the Husqvarna 51 then the 346XP might work well for your needs .

thanks for all your advice spike.
i am leaning towards the 346xp. i can buy a 346xp for $450 and the 357xp for $600. i just can't justify the extra $$$$.
i have been called a fiscal conservative(tightass) before, maybe they're right?

On line price if interisted on the 346XP where i bought my Husqvarna chainsaws:

HUSQVARNA 346xp Chainsaw saw only $424.95
18" Bar& 3 chains 2YR WARRANTY,brand new. Free Shipping!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chain-Saws-HUSQ...ryZ79666QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bailey’s on line store for the Husqvarna 357XP is only $499.00
http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/5341?mv_session_id=KyVU7Pcs&product_sku=HU 357XP

Both are very good sellers and are both Husqvarna dealers and offer parts and service.

Is there something wrong with you'r 51?

got the 346xp today and can't wait to make some chips!
was torn between the 357xp and the 346xp.
the salesperson at the store hit on a point that made a lot of sense. he said that if i was happy with the 51 then the 346xp was the way to go. it would cut better and do it in lighter package. also, that we are ALL getting older and not wanting to work as hard as we were a just few years ago.
i was very impressed with him as he spent the better part of an hour taching it and going over the saw. he also showed me how to release the inertia brake if it should engage (by dropping)when the cover is off.
it was nice to have someone who gave a chit,vs the big store experience.

i can't wait for sunday morning!
bruce

Awesome ! Your going to have a ball with that saw , Fast sucker for sure. Just remember on the XP pro saws to keep the RMP's up when in the wood and keep the chain sharp. Wont take long to get the feeling for the saw , its going to be a pleasure to cut wood now.

Did the dealer mention bringing it back to him after 10 or so tanks of gas to reset the carb ? Did it tach it for 50:1 oil mix or 40:1 ? The saw will run cooler and better on high octain gas and stay away from the corn gas mix .

That is a great saw, you will be very happy with it. Don't forget to wear you'r PPE.

BTW Bruce , If ya decide to modd the muffler on that saw let me know , i can hook you up. Just let me know after you have run though the break in period ( 10 tanks of gas ) You'll get a great increase in power.

( The saw will need retached/ carb set afterwards )

Don't forget to wear you'r PPE.[/quote]

funny you should mention that. while there i couldn't resist the husky combo helmet/face shield/ear protection. the saw was only $450, but the check was $550. had to get the helmet,oil and extra chain also. like i said.......a good salesperson:)

thanks for the offer spike,i'll probably take you up on that offer.
how many tanks of fuel for 10 hrs?

bruce56bb said:
thanks for the offer spike,i'll probably take you up on that offer.
how many tanks of fuel for 10 hrs?

10 tanks of fuel is a normal break in time. ( not 10 hours ) It will all depend on how the saw is run on how fast you go thorough gas . ( Limbing or heavy bucking )

Good deal you got the PPE , I NEVER ware a hat but it didn't take very long to get used to the safety helmet .

update on the new saw.
finally had the opportunity to burn some gas in the new 346xp and all i can say is.....it rocks!!!!
lots of top-end power and seemed to be a lot easier on fuel than the old 51. this morning i cut a full truck load of ash and
never put gas in it.
i'm impressed with it,very easy to start,easy to handle and if you keep the revs up, it was like a hot knife through butter on that ash tree.

edit
at this rate of wood to fuel, it may be 2 years before i get through the 10hrs/10 tanks of fuel break-in period.

Thats awesome bruce , I had the thoughts of " why in the he(( didnt somebody tell me there was such a difference in saws?" One you get the feel of the saw and get the feel to keep the saw in its high revs its a monster. I would say the saw will gain about 15% power just by being broke in at around the 10 tank mark of what it is now. Sharp chain , high revs that the key. Having the right saw for wood cutting make its a pleasure to do the work.

Good update to your thread bruce.

My distinct impression, when running the 346xp for the first couple of tanks, cutting small pine sawlogs, was that it will do as much work as I ask it to. Nice to have a classy tool with no limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.