Thinking about an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
We've been burning an add-on wood furnace for a few years now and are quite pleased with it. But, last fall I started a new schedule that has me gone overnight twice a week. My wife generally does a good job with the furnace, but her schedule has changed a bit, too. On the days that I am out of town she has to get our two young children(5 and 8) up at 5:30 am and out the door. She doesn't always have a chance to tend to the fire. For convenience, and her sanity, we've been talking about burning pellets on those days. We would still be burning wood the days that I am home, which is most of five days a week (it's a pretty sweet schedule ;-)). It's either this or I'm going to have to get the LP furnace fixed/replaced.

We have a masonry fireplace in our living room that would be a good location for an insert. We have a ranch home of about 1600 sq ft, with a very open living area/kitchen/dining room that totals around 1000 sq ft., with a short hallway to three bedrooms. Insulation is average for the early 70s, and the drafty front and back doors are getting replaced before next winter. This fireplace is in ok condition, and I would probably be comfortable with a fire in it. But the chimney is definitely not safe. I'm assuming the chimney would be blocked off and the insert vented directly out the back?

I know next to nothing about pellet stoves. I do know they require some regular maintenance and part replacement. That's not a big deal. Looks aren't super important. Looking for ease of operation and dependability. I would also like multi fuel capability. Cost is a bit of a factor, but I'm not afraid to pay for quality. What should I look for, and what should I stay away from? Please include your favorite brands, and why.

jeff_t said:
We've been burning an add-on wood furnace for a few years now and are quite pleased with it. But, last fall I started a new schedule that has me gone overnight twice a week. My wife generally does a good job with the furnace, but her schedule has changed a bit, too. On the days that I am out of town she has to get our two young children(5 and 8) up at 5:30 am and out the door. She doesn't always have a chance to tend to the fire. For convenience, and her sanity, we've been talking about burning pellets on those days. We would still be burning wood the days that I am home, which is most of five days a week (it's a pretty sweet schedule ;-)). It's either this or I'm going to have to get the LP furnace fixed/replaced.

We have a masonry fireplace in our living room that would be a good location for an insert. We have a ranch home of about 1600 sq ft, with a very open living area/kitchen/dining room that totals around 1000 sq ft., with a short hallway to three bedrooms. Insulation is average for the early 70s, and the drafty front and back doors are getting replaced before next winter. This fireplace is in ok condition, and I would probably be comfortable with a fire in it. But the chimney is definitely not safe. I'm assuming the chimney would be blocked off and the insert vented directly out the back?

I know next to nothing about pellet stoves. I do know they require some regular maintenance and part replacement. That's not a big deal. Looks aren't super important. Looking for ease of operation and dependability. I would also like multi fuel capability. Cost is a bit of a factor, but I'm not afraid to pay for quality. What should I look for, and what should I stay away from? Please include your favorite brands, and why.
Read the link below first, if you can handle that then I say go for it. Would need some existing fireplace hearth measurements to suggest a good stove. I like my Quadrafire MT Vernon AE Insert, it's heating my colonial of 2000 SQFT nicely with minimal use of the oil hot water boiler.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67895/

I had read thru some of that thread. She can do whatever is necessary on a daily basis. I'm thinking that the day and a half that I'm gone twice a week shouldn't be much trouble, at least a lot less than burning wood. I'm sure it will get used more than just when I'm gone.

The current opening is 34Wx27H. It's 25in deep at the bottom tapering to 21in at the top. The hearth sticks out 17in.

Status
Not open for further replies.