thinking about buying a pellet stove for the barn/garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad356

Dec 25, 2009
north java, ny
im thinking about buying a pellet stove for my garage/barn maybe this year. i have been using pellets to heat the house the last couple of years and im fairly satisfied with them. it has been a reliable source of heat and i use natural gas only in a pinch. anyways i want to put a stove my garage this year but my stepfather is opposed to it. he keeps saying some nonsense that he doesnt feel its safe in a garage. he says its an "open flame" and its a hazard when you are working on small engines with possible gasoline in the building. i tend to disagree, im not going to be pouring gasoline on the stove, and usually IF any is spilled its a small amount. the thing is i have been using a kerosene torpedo type heater the last few years and i hate it. the kerosene is very expensive and it heats ok but the fumes are terrible. is there a danger with a pellet stove in a garage like that? i dont think so but i just wanted some input from you guys.

kerosene is now 4.29 per gallon and a gallon only lasts 2 hours or even less. thats over 2 bucks per hour. a few hours on my days off working in the garage could cost me almost 10 bucks for crappy heat. i think kerosene is getting to be to expensive for any practical use.

check your local codes.

usually can't put solid fuel burning devices in a garage.

Legalities aside, I have a pellet stove in my rear garage/workshop and I never felt safer or more comfortable .
For years I had a wood stove in there but it was a real PIA like all wood stoves are , but the real problem as usual was the worry over sparks and combustables.
A pellet stove (installed correctly) pretty much eliminates those worries.
Obviously you must take precautions to ensure volatiles are stored away from any heat source.

you might want to address this with your local fire dept. Talk with some experienced staff. Maybe they will have some insight which will help you accomplish what you want to do. All too often the road to Heaven and hell is paved with good intentions. There is seldom anything better than the voice of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.