Thinking About Buying Another Woodstock Keystone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled the trigger on a refurbished black Keystone, $1600 plus $100 shipping. Woodstock said it should be here in a couple weeks. I think I'm making the right decision. 2 Keystones is plenty fire power for 2000 sq ft and they burn low and slow for the shoulder seasons. Even if it didn't work out I could always buy the new Woodstock or go back to the Fireview after they change some options. So what if I'm a Wood stove addict, you all are too! %-P

Nice - you got me thinking.......

Bill

Todd said:
I pulled the trigger on a refurbished black Keystone, $1600 plus $100 shipping. Woodstock said it should be here in a couple weeks. I think I'm making the right decision. 2 Keystones is plenty fire power for 2000 sq ft and they burn low and slow for the shoulder seasons. Even if it didn't work out I could always buy the new Woodstock or go back to the Fireview after they change some options. So what if I'm a Wood stove addict, you all are too! %-P

What options?

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

What options?

Ash pan, different andirons, left side door, and less busy cast iron look.

Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

What options?

Somebody's picky. :)

Actually, can't you get a left side door if you ask for it? Also, my neighbor runs a forge, I could get him to make you andirons in the shape of flamingos if you want. Maybe some andirons in the shape of Hulk Hogan and Rangy "Macho Man" Savage? You know, something classy.

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

What options?

Somebody's picky. :)

Actually, can't you get a left side door if you ask for it? Also, my neighbor runs a forge, I could get him to make you andirons in the shape of flamingos if you want. Maybe some andirons in the shape of Hulk Hogan and Rangy "Macho Man" Savage? You know, something classy.

Woodstock told me they were going to make these Fireview options after they finish the new stove. You can get a left hand door now but it is the same door as the right side, I think they are talking about changing the hinges so it will swing towards the rear of the stove instead of forward? Maybe they will also put the controls on that side as well. Don't know why they want to change the andirons but they do get in the way when you clean the glass.

I woulda just bought another saw. ;-)

wendell said:
I woulda just bought another saw. ;-)
Wouldn't the Keystone make for a more comfortable landing?

Den said:
I'm thinking about laying a mirror on the hearth. . .would need to project out off the hearth to get the right angle. . .destined for breakage. . .maybe I could find one the right size in a metal frame.

I made my hearth from polished granite, and get a nice reflection from some angles. It's standing up real well so far, and is a great heat-sink and tootsie-warmer.

I looked really, really hard at the FV before going w/my Hearthstone--could not make that configuration work where I had planned to put the stove (which I ended up changing at the last minute anyway, but o well). Finally concluded that my house was more hobbit hole than Rivendell, and then someone on here posted about their big window and great secondaries, and that helped me make my decision. No regrets.

Todd said:
So what if I'm a Wood stove addict, you all are too! %-P
You say this like it's a bad thing . . .

I went through a serious "too many stoves out there, not enough house" attack last weekend, so this makes a lot of sense to me. Look at how many people have more cars than they need, and no one blinks an eye! You get a leeeetle bit stove happy and all the nermals out there are running around yelling that the sky is falling and you've gone nuts. I tell ya' . . .

Look, if you see the new superstove and just have to have it, WS might take the refurb back as a partial payment. Or you could sell it locally, right? Make someone else happy. Spread the love.

Sounds nice! This place is more Hobbit hole too, but you gotta like gear wrought by elves. :) Funny that you too noticed the elvish craftsmanship. . .I suggested an elvish name for thd new stove awhile back: Anduril. :) For me, the highly scrutinized runner up was the BK Princess. I would've had to go with the insert version or get into hearth work. I figured out that the old dragon insert was losing a lot of heat to the big stone hearth attached to an exterior masonry chimney and extending down into the uninsulated crawlspace, so I went with a hearth stove in hopes of keeping more of the heat inside the house. The lack of a front door seems like a deficiency to some folks, but it let me plop the Woodstock down without extending the hearth. :) The really funny thing about all of this is that a FV caught my eye when I first started poking around this site a few years ago, looking to improve the performance of the dragon. . .I *think* the FV I saw was Todd's avatar, and now he's dumping her. Doh! :p

Todd said:
So what if I'm a Wood stove addict, you all are too! %-P
You say this like it's a bad thing . . .

I went through a serious "too many stoves out there, not enough house" attack last weekend, so this makes a lot of sense to me. Look at how many people have more cars than they need, and no one blinks an eye! You get a leeeetle bit stove happy and all the nermals out there are running around yelling that the sky is falling and you've gone nuts. I tell ya' . . .

Look, if you see the new superstove and just have to have it, WS might take the refurb back as a partial payment. Or you could sell it locally, right? Make someone else happy. Spread the love.[/quote]

I get that "too many stoves out there, not enough house" attacks all the time and this site doesn't help a bit. I got the itch a couple weeks ago with some extra tax refund money burning a hole in my pocket and started looking at the Jotul tl-50, Blaze King, and a couple Morso's but always came back to the Keystone. The wife helped me with the final decision by saying it better be another soapstone! I doubt this will be the last time.

Well congratulations Todd. I hope it works out even better than you are thinking it will.

Todd said:

So when are you going to update your stove picture from the Fireview to the Keystone... ;)

Bill

leeave96 said:
Todd said:

So when are you going to update your stove picture from the Fireview to the Keystone... ;)

Bill

Done! When are you going to buy your 2nd Keystone? :lol:

Todd said:
leeave96 said:
Todd said:

Bill

Done! When are you going to buy your 2nd Keystone? :lol:

Cool Todd,

Sounds like you got a great deal for the Keystone. I like the mix of cast iron and soapstone on it too! Your fires also look very nice in that stove. Congratulations on the new purchase, and the end of the brainstorming for a new stove. I like the new avatar. Somehow, I knew you were going to end up on this path. Getting a refurb from a manufacturer like Woodstock must be so reassuring. Like buying a brand new stove with a much lower price tag! Nice! Can you send us a close up of your current keystone?

Todd, how do you move the stoves into the house? I'm picking up an Encore tomorrow, after another pick up cancellation today. I plan on using a hand truck and a furniture dolly to move it around. Some planks to get it into the van.

Do you have any tips?

leeave96 said:
Todd said:

Bill

The Keystone is very tempting. But so is the Dutchwest XL cat and the PE Summit Classic and the new Woodstock stove coming this Spring and the Hearthstone Mansfield and ...

Bill

VCBurner said:
Todd, how do you move the stoves into the house? I'm picking up an Encore tomorrow, after another pick up cancellation today. I plan on using a hand truck and a furniture dolly to move it around. Some planks to get it into the van.

Do you have any tips?

I moved my Keystone with a dolly. I left it on/in the factory crate and rolled it up to the hearth and then of the crate from there and onto the hearth. Very heavy.

Good luck,
Bill

VCBurner said:
[
Cool Todd,
Sounds like you got a great deal for the Keystone. I like the mix of cast iron and soapstone on it too! Your fires also look very nice in that stove. Congratulations on the new purchase, and the end of the brainstorming for a new stove. I like the new avatar. Somehow, I knew you were going to end up on this path. Getting a refurb from a manufacturer like Woodstock must be so reassuring. Like buying a brand new stove with a much lower price tag! Nice! Can you send us a close up of your current keystone?

I just used a furniture dolly for my stoves. It was pretty easy since the stoves were in a crate. Once on the hearth I took the crate apart and slid it into place by myself.

Attachments

• 100_1128.jpg
    100_1128.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 305
  • 100_1129-1.jpg
    100_1129-1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 100_1136.jpg
    100_1136.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 324
That is one stylee setup.

Status