Thinking about doing a new Hearth for my wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppalachianStan

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2011
Clover SC
I have looked at some really nice pic of hearths on here. I have hearht envy!!! I would like to do a round hearth at 12" high off the floor. Can I use 2"x10" for the base and then some type of fire rated stuff and title. So what does the pros say?

First ya gotta know what the "R" value requirements are for your stove. I have seen everything from Ember protection to fairly high R values. Got the manual? It should state it in there somewhere.

How about just overkill. No manual for the stove I have. I can not find one line.

AppalachianStan said:
How about just overkill. No manual for the stove I have. I can not find one line.

Over kill would probably be in the 2.5 R range. That is some of the highest that I have personally seen. What is under the stove now?

Do a search for greythorn3's hearth build for his Englander 30. He used heavy gauge metal 2x10's and durock if I remember correctly. Then tiled over it, but you could do stone veneer, tile, or whatever. It turned out really nice and was pretty tall. I'll do a search here in a bit and see if I can find his thread.

2" of concrete, fake concrete stones and 4 cinder blocks. Just some I through together at the last minute.

Attachments

• App4.jpg
    App4.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 238
kingquad said:
He used heavy gauge metal 2x10's and durock if I remember correctly.

Using metal studs would sure take the concern out of it. You can find them at commercial drywall stores.

Will the metal studs be strong enough for the weight of the wood stove. Although the metal studs would be easier to work with. I have it beef up good in the flooring. I have the floor joices or on 12" on center. Cinder blocks support under the floor.

AppalachianStan said:
Will the metal studs be strong enough for the weight of the wood stove.

If you use heavy gauge stuff, it will be. I would guess that you are looking in the 14-16 Ga size. Design of the framework will also play a part in stiffness.

Here are 2 from here that I love.

Attachments

• TX-Buck-91-decor.jpg
    TX-Buck-91-decor.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 226
  • encore_more.jpg
    encore_more.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 220
Jags said:
kingquad said:

Using metal studs would sure take the concern out of it. You can find them at commercial drywall stores.

The only concerned I would have is with the durock. Would I not have to put down plywood or sheet metal to add to suppuort. The plywood would not be R rated. Or can I just add 2 to 3 sheet of durock?

AppalachianStan said:
Jags said:
kingquad said:

The only concerned I would have is with the durock. Would I not have to put down plywood or sheet metal to add to suppuort. The plywood would not be R rated. Or can I just add 2 to 3 sheet of durock?

I would think that multiple layers of durock would work, but why not get your measurements done and make sure that a stud (or two) will be under each leg of the stove.

The steel studs are plenty strong enough, you can go with 12"o.c. if you feel the need. I went 12"o.c., then two layers of wonderboard with mortar between and screwed together 8"o.c., then the tile. I have had four adults standing on my hearth, with the stove, didn't budge.

I went with 8" off center with 2x8's. Two layers 1/2" durock with screws on bottom layer to secure to studs, mastic to secure top layer on. Very, very stable and probably a little overkill.

Attachments

• Tribute.jpg
    Tribute.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 179
Have been remodeling my kitchen for over 2 years. One of the thing I had to was put in a new floor so were the wood stove was going I put the floor joices or on 12†on center and block it put real good for the weight o the stove. But I think I will go with 8" on center for the metal studs and Two layers 1/2†durock. Good to know.

jonwright said:
I went with 8" off center with 2x8's. Two layers 1/2" durock with screws on bottom layer to secure to studs, mastic to secure top layer on. Very, very stable and probably a little overkill.

That looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.