Thinking about installing SS liner in my outside masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad

Sep 20, 2007
This fall I had a brand new masonry clay lined chimney rebuilt, brand new Jotul 500 stove and the dealer that I bought the stove from is really trying to encourage me to install a SS liner. How much is this going to improve the performance of my stove? Will I get longer burn times, hotter fires? Please let me know.

I'm burning the Oslo on an outside 2 foot by 2 foot brick chimney that has an 8x8 inch clay tile liner, 7x7 inch interior diameter. My Oslo burns fine the way it is, but I'm convinced performance of my stove would be enhanced if I lined my chimney. Note that my setup has about a 4 inch air space surrounding the clay liner, between the liner and the brick chase. I am also sealed tight top and bottom, no air coming in the ash cleanout door.

A 6 inch pipe has a cross sectional area of about 28 sq. inches, the clay tile has a cross sectional area of 49 sq. inches. I am sure my draft is affected by this, and if I lined all the way to the top my draft would improve for certain.

I had a reputable and experienced sweep check my chimney a few weeks back. He said to burn that puppy the way I have been and call him in the spring :)

I burn it hot each morning, running the stove top thermometer up to between 600 and 700 degrees.

My home is about 2100 sq. feet and I have only burned about 10 gallon of fuel oil, mainly just to run the furnace and make sure it's working.

I've gone through about 2.5 cord of wood so far.

If there is room, you can not only line it with SS but also insulate that liner, it will definately burn better and be safer.

Hi, I burned my old stove into a 20', 8" x 12" flue liner for 26 years and when I installed the new stove I used the same setup for about a month. The draft was lazy and had to babysit the stove a lot on start up. After much reading here, I decided to install a ss 6" rigid liner. It greatly improved the draft, performance of the stove and in compliance with local building code. It took about four hrs. to install and think it is well worth the money. Hope this helps.

Jim

Hi, I burned my old stove into a 20', 8" x 12" flue liner for 26 years and when I installed the new stove I used the same setup for about a month. The draft was lazy and had to babysit the stove a lot on start up. After much reading here, I decided to install a ss 6" rigid liner. It greatly improved the draft, performance of the stove and in compliance with local building code. It took about four hrs. to install and think it is well worth the money. Hope this helps.

Jim

Chad, I forgot to mention that my chimney is on the interior of the house. The liner was snug going down and is not insulated. I would've had to use loose fill insulation and decided not to do it. From what I've read here it is a good idea to insulate an exterior chimney.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.