Thinking About the Good Old Days???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be going through an extended senior moment. Lately there are three Orley's and a Fireview for sale near me for cheap money (under $200). I know they are not EPA's, but damn they were good stoves. I heated my Washington shop with one for three years. It was 20 X 40 x 13ft ceilings. Burned soft maple, alder and small fir from clear cut slash.

Anyone have a stove they miss????

Nope. It is sitting on the back of the property being used as a meat smoker. And occasional trash burner. I do sit in front of it when it is burning and have a few memories though.

I still have a few old stoves that are out in my cabin that I can use. While the fisher I had in my home heated like a son-of-a-gun, it used wood to no end and wouldn't go more than about 10 hours MAX between loads.

So, for me, I remember that the good old days are only good because we survived them! People died from polio, simple infections and tb in the good old days! At the end of the day, my house is a lot safer now that it was a few years ago.

pen

I've seen some old railroad stoves, baseburners and parlor stoves on a few websites that I would to see in action though. Not epa compliant though...some are just fantastic looking.

I miss the Red VC cat encore we used to use in our showroom in Warrensburg. The different panels would all turn a different shades of red to brown as it heated up. It would light fast, cruise at an 800 degree surface temp when the showroom was open, would hold coals after 12 hours so I didnt have to start a fire the next day. It was hooked up to an 8" chimney thru the roof, so I could snap in the fire screen for ambiance regardless of the day and have no smoke spillage. All the crap with having to tear the sucker open and replace the cat and combustion chamber, damper linkages etc were not an issue, because back then tearing apart old vc stoves and putting em back together was a hobby of mine.

In fact, as far as stoves go, I miss being in the basement of our shop, getting filthy while taking apart an old Defiant, replacing the fire back and putting it back together and having it look showroom new. I really miss those days.

I don't miss any of our old stoves.

Our last old stove still sits out being used as a trash burner. I may use it for boiling some sap for maple syrup though.

My old Nashua is headed for my shop, I have found memories of the 30 years it kept me warm, I loved that stove and I now might be falling in love with the Summit.

Nope . . . I gave away my old Shenandoah to a former co-worker and her husband . . . they used it for several years until it wore out and they replaced it a year or so back with a Regency.

I'm nostalgic about the VC we had when I was a kid. Lost the hair on my arm more than a couple times top-loading that sucker. I wouldn't want it as my main house heater with the options I have now, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.