Thinking about trying square chisel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting to hear your thoughts on how well they work. I'm thinking I'd like to try square ground on my o26 and 024. I use those saws for limbing so they never see dirty wood. I have them set up with RS right now and have been happy, but hey faster is better right?

I'm waiting to hear your thoughts on how well they work. I'm thinking I'd like to try square ground on my o26 and 024. I use those saws for limbing so they never see dirty wood. I have them set up with RS right now and have been happy, but hey faster is better right?
As soon as I clear out this bunch of dead falls , I'll be cutting with the Square ground ,and I'll let You know .It's all about learning a different skill to Me . If it's a fail on my part , I'll sell the Atop ,files ,and chains to someone that can use them . :)
Mike , are You using 3/8ths pitch chain on those saws ?

Mike , are You using 3/8ths pitch chain on those saws ?
No, .325. But I've considered switching over at least the 026 to 3/8. I keep a 16" bar on both so they should be able to handle the 3/8 -- mostly want to do it so I can buy a roll and make chains for all my saws.

But Husqvarna does/did offer square ground .325. They call it h26.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-1...157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ba888b1d

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/...-accessories/chains/saw-chain-h26-325-1,6-mm/

No, .325. But I've considered switching over at least the 026 to 3/8. I keep a 16" bar on both so they should be able to handle the 3/8 -- mostly want to do it so I can buy a roll and make chains for all my saws.

But Husqvarna does/did offer square ground .325. They call it h26.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-1...157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ba888b1d

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/...-accessories/chains/saw-chain-h26-325-1,6-mm/
Thanks for the link Mike ! if I ever master 3/8 sq chisel , I may attack 325 . Might be fun on a ported 346 ! :)

Reactions: mikefrommaine
If you're serious , I can chuck one(chain ) in the mail . Do You want it new , or butchered by Me ? Oh ,and I get it back after the review , right ? :)

You're on. PM me for the address. ::-)

And yeah, I'll ship it back to ya.

As far as condition, send me whatever you think cuts the best, but I'd be most interested in out-of-the-box comparisons since that would probably be of the most interest here on Hearth.

You're on. PM me for the address. ::-)

And yeah, I'll ship it back to ya.

As far as condition, send me whatever you think cuts the best, but I'd be most interested in out-of-the-box comparisons since that would probably be of the most interest here on Hearth.
Pm sent . Looking forward to hearing your findings .

20 percent extra speed with a chain will take more than atop(Race Chain). Proven race chains will go for "BIG MONEY" And remember your only looking to do 3 cuts with it before its re-sharpened.
Agreed ! For the average ability sharpener , 20%+ can be gained just by honing round sharpening skills. Techniques like "the logger hook" and different raker filing. A friend of mine is a game of logging instructor and he tried the square way back when it first came out and thought it was bunk. I'd put my round filed up against square any day!

[quote="JustWood, post: 1432699, member: 2033" ] 20%+ can be gained just by honing round sharpening skills. Techniques like "the logger hook" and different raker filing. [/quote]
Pics, links ? Always interested in learning better techniques .

Well, so far the only thing that I can say is ... when sharpening this chain , wear gloves . It'll take meat off your fingers way quicker than round chisel . I'll not comment any further until MM shares his opinion of this type of chain .

Well, so far the only thing that I can say is ... when sharpening this chain , wear gloves . It'll take meat off your fingers way quicker than round chisel . I'll not comment any further until MM shares his opinion of this type of chain .

I haven't forgotten about this. Just been exceptionally busy the last few weeks and unable to shoot the video.

Reactions: Nixon
I haven't forgotten about this. Just been exceptionally busy the last few weeks and unable to shoot the video.
Hey , no problem . Making a living comes first ! I was just commenting as to needing to be abit more cautious with this stuff .
I hope you didn't take it as me pestering you about the video .

Status
Not open for further replies.