Thinking ahead of any possible overdraft problems with my wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
My stove has a 25ft ss liner to the top and I'm alittle concerned about possible overdraft during the winter usage.I tried the stove out 3 times a week or so ago when the outside temp was in the 30s and the fire seemed to be under control!I have read here that adding a damper on the pipe would be a good idea but my pipe is hidden behind the insert trim.What options do i have if i need more control on the downdraft?

I do not know why you think 25 ft of pipe is going to result in overdraft? Is that stove prone to this? I have my olympic tied into about 22 ft of pipe and mine rips but I have no overdraft worries. I would just manage it well, as you should, in keeping an eye on it as it gets up in ttemp and then closing it down stepwise or as necessary to get a great burn.

I dont think you will have a problem with overdraft at all. Im sure there are a ton of people that have the same install as you that can chime in that they dont have an issue.

Just being alittle cautious!I have read a few posts that suggests possible overdrafts causing some overheating of the stove.The overdrafts seem to happen with very tall chimneys.I see that many stove manufactures have a max height of alittle over 30ft!I'm guessing after that height overdraft may be a big problem.

The manual recommends flue between 15 and 33 ft. At 25 you're right in the middle. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. There are a lot of days between now and October. ;-)

BeGreen said:
The manual recommends flue between 15 and 33 ft. At 25 you're right in the middle. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. There are a lot of days between now and October. ;-)

Thanks BeGreen and others!The stove is now resting till oct.One last stove related project to be done!Cutting and stacking 1 more cord(around 2.5 cords total)for my first full season.It will be interesting to see how much i will need.Burning wont be 24/7!just from mid afternoon till bed time and weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.