thinking of a olympic stove for my first stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidb

Mar 23, 2008
upstate, new york
i have never had a wood stove , looking foward to burning wood. i have burned wood in a potbelly at my buddies hunting camp but never in my house. please help!!!!! just need some thought, the vc i was going to get fell through. so i really want a olympic. i talk to lot of people who say oh no woodstoves are bad . thanks david

Assume you are referring to the Avalon Olympic, the twin of the Lopi Liberty. From all reports that is definitely a solid stove. Will put out a lot of heat, so assume you have a large area to heat. For choosing your stove, do some searching on this site as far as reviews, find a dealer you are comfortable with and/or has a good reputation, work with that dealer or dealers to determine your exact needs based on your situation, and go for it. Google wood stoves and bury yourself in cyberinfo. In general terms, yes, there are a lot of steel stoves out there with similar look, features and reliability as the Olympic - that is why I think finding a reliable dealer, whom you can trust and is available for questions and service, is all the more important. And yes, price is a consideration, but like everything that sells, there are some low, many medium and some high. Different bells and whistles, but the main principle is still the same - you are burning wood in a metal box to create heat!

Oh no...woodstoves are GOOD! We have a Lopi Liberty in our home (~2500 sq. ft., two levels), and we love it. Looks good, burns good, and has sufficient capacity for our needs. We need to add a ceiling fan and fiddle around with ways of distributing the heat to the distant rooms on the first floor better, but we're very happy with the stove. Rick

Attachments

• stovecat2.jpg
    stovecat2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 633
Oh yeah...if a blower kit for whatever stove you decide on is offered as an option, I highly recommend you spring for it...worth every penny. Rick

thanks for some info on the alavon olympic stove , my house is 1800sqft. there is a dealer i have been talking with , they are saying stove put in plus double wall piping would be around $3800.00

Hello newwoodburner...that a good stove the only recommendation I have is that you get a stove that you can load the wood in a N-S direction. It easier to stuff these stoves for the times you leave the house for 8-9 hrs and still want to maintain a fire.

Love my olympic - installed as an insert with the blower. Would definitely get the blower regardless of the installation. ONce you get that stove good and hot - crank that blower and enjoy the sweat lodge. Seriously, a good stove with great control - between Air and Blower I can control the heat very well.

yup, love mine..blower a must, but this is my second year with it and it is starting to make some noise. I will take it apart this summer and try cleaning it out some. But, I run the blower 24/7 when the stove is on..thats alot of revolutions! I typically load my olympic in the N/S direction, since all of my wood is split 16" anyways.

I burned an Olympic for 2yrs in the house we just sold. I could load 16" splits straight in or 24" side to side. I put it in the ground level family room of a 1600 sqf split level. It burned hot and clean. Secondary burn sounds like a jet engine. Always good coals left in the morning if turned down for the night. The other stove I would look at would be the Pacific Energy summit or the T6. I didn't know I had a dealer in my area when I bought the Olympic. I like the extended burn time thermostat on the summit(and T6). These are to big for the house we are building so I'm putting a Wood stock fireview in our new house.
Good luck

newwoodburner said:
i have never had a wood stove , looking foward to burning wood. i have burned wood in a potbelly at my buddies hunting camp but never in my house. please help!!!!! just need some thought, the vc i was going to get fell through. so i really want a olympic. i talk to lot of people who say oh no woodstoves are bad . thanks david

Where in Upstate NY?
Olympic and PE Summit are great stoves. I will be getting an Olympic soon, I have a Summit right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.