Thinking of a pellet fed furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRXL

Jan 7, 2013
Ontario,Canada
I'm so happy with the results of our pellet stove that now I'm thinking of convertering my fossil fuel furnace to a pellet fed furnace.
Is it even possible do they make such a thing.

There are several pellet furnaces or boilers available that can be tied into your existing system in conjuction with your current furnace. I've never heard of any conversion kits.

There is a company that makes conversion kits for oil fired boilers. I think they're called Pellergy or something like that. Not sure if it works for a oil fired forced air furnace, assuming oil is what you mean by fossil fuel. The burners are expensive if I remember correctly.

For what you'd pay to convert, you could spend a few bucks more and get an add on unit that burns pellets and keep the oil furnace as is for times you're out of town, etc. If you ever sell your home, you'll be less apt to scare potential buyers away if you have a conventional furl furnace installed.

Or keep an eye out on the used market. Good deals pop up every now and again. I found a used Fahrenheit pellet furnace from Craigslist for $1000. Thats some of the best money I've ever spent. Another member here picked up a newer model Fahrenheit than mine for $2000.

Im the other member with a Fahrenheit and Love it. Its only rated at 50,000 BTU (Still seems like it eats more than that, if needed)? But packs a punch and EVENLY heats the whole house

Check out the install section of this pellet furnace manual. It should give you most of the details you are looking for. You can put your oil furnace in paralell with it and keep the oil for a back-up. Don't let the requirements be discouraging. It's not as hard as it looks.

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/PF100.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.