Thinking of getting Vermont Castings Winter Warm...help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrester1968

Dec 19, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
I'm a newbie here. I have a fireplace that I need to measure to see which size I need to get -- large or small. I'm not sure how to properly measure it. The fireplace is an outward curve with a concrete mantle. The firebox comes out 15 inches with brick at an angle. Then there is a cement mantle topped with an asbestos metal plate. How far should I measure from the back wall of the fireplace to the front?

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 387
Depending on the fireplace dimensions, installing a freestanding stove and extending the hearth might be a nice option here.

BeGreen said:
Depending on the fireplace dimensions, installing a freestanding stove and extending the hearth might be a nice option here.

Agreed,

Step 1: Get sledge hammer

Step 2: Use sledge hammer

Step 3: Get a stove, not an insert..... your family will luv ya!!

Welcome aboard!

We've had two quotes and one guy come out now. The one who came out said he was concerned about it and it was a no-go looking at our mantle. The house plans say that it the construction is cemment on metal slaths. He said if we need to confirm that the interior had no combustable material. He also said the unit would not lay flush on the bowed hearth. This was a cosmetic concern putting the front of the stove past the edge of the mantle leaving a gap behind the insert. I was thinking the unit could be pushed in further and closer to the back wall. What are your thoughts?

Concerned about a cement mantle? I must be missing something here.

Putting an flat-faced insert on a curved surface is a bit like the square peg in a round hole. I still think, as above, install a free standing stove would be more attractive and would look more intentional. There are some contemporary designs that would look pretty good in there. Perhaps a Morso?

I was hoping we could just recess the insert since it's such a big opening until it fits snugly? The insert would make it into the opening three or four inches.

OR

Would I run into the same problem with a free standing stove set into the firebox as I would with an insert? Some of the stove maybe outside the firebox and under the hearth/mantle. I really want to do this. In the end is it necessary to tear out my mantle to make this work?

The mantle isn't solid concrete, it is a cement and plaster mixture that is hard like concrete but hollow. The frame was to be metal, but I don't know this for sure.

I would think that a WW could be slipped back in a few inches as you say - and perhaps used with no panels (seal at damper) or custom panels or screening around it.

As far as safety, the WW would provide a high degree of that since very little heat comes off the top of that! The mantle area will barely get lukewarm. The WW puts heat out the front as heated air plus through the glass.

Most stoves would actually be worse in terms of heat on the fireplace front....since they radiate much stronger than an insert. If you like the WW, you should see if you can find an installer who actually understands the situation.

It doesn't have to be a WW. There are other really nice inserts I like Morso, thank you!

This is all I want. I can do install with photoshop!

Attachments

• fireplaceww.jpg
    fireplaceww.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 254
Nice, now all you need a a crackle box and a sunlamp! ;-)

Post all the dimensions for the firebox - H & W at the beginning of the front firebrick and at the back of the fireplace. Depth at top and bottom from the edge of the firebrick. Maybe something will work. Short side extensions could be cut to rest against the curved sidewalls if the height works out.

I'm not sure if any dealers in your area carry them but a Scan DSA 4 would seem to fit your situation nicely and it even has a curved door.

Status
Not open for further replies.