thinking of installing wood stove this summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie1276

Sep 19, 2008
southeastern ma.
heys guys i am thinking about buying a wood stove this summer to install for the coming winter any suuggestions on stoves and install ideas putting in basement cause its finished now i have to go through the foundation with this pipe thats double insulated i was told by local fireplace installer he wants to charge me 2,200.00 for just pipe and installation i need to buy stove. now i am jack of all trades and have friends that do hvac. so i need some tips on install and what kind of wood stove to go with. anybody have good advice for tools to drill through cement block foundation or any other ways of venting stove.

Your post needs to be in the hearth room. I'm just a newbie here, but I think you'd be better off if you could find a way to run the double wall pipe up through the house. This will keep the flue warmer which should decrease creosote. As to which stove to get, I think it would be best if you did your homework. Lot's to consider, price, size, options, cat/ no cat, which dealer you want to deal with etc....I'm sure someone with more exprience can help.

Welcome to the forum newbie. This will no doubt get moved to the Hearth room. In the meantime, I do hope if you are planning on installing that wood burner for use next winter that you already have your wood supply; that is, cut, split and stacked so it has time to dry over the summer.

Please do not make the common mistake of installing a wood burner and then going looking for wood. Burning wood is not like burning oil or propane. You need to get your fuel supply way ahead of time. Even those ads you see where some guy is selling "seasoned" wood are mostly bull. Seasoned seems to be that magical word, but too many folks get it and can't get the wood to burn decent, the stove doesn't put out heat and in just a very short time the chimney clogs with creosote.

Wood is best burned if it can season for 2 years.....after it has been cut, split and stacked in the sun and wind to dry.

wood is not a problem have 40 acre endless supply of it i guess i really looking for some instll tips what materials to use best way to vent through basement. i know someone here has done it. just a need a little feedback

40 acres of wood is nice indeed!

Newbie, an endless supply is worthless unless it is cut ahead of time. I was just trying to remind you that the wood you will burn next winter should already be cut, split and stacked....NOW.

+2 Savage.
Get it split and in the sun and wind "yesterday".
Go to the The Hearth Room and search "basement install".
$2200 sounds reasonable. Mine cost $1350 for materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.