Thinking of second stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironworker

Burning Hunk
Dec 3, 2011
Upstate NY
Need some help on second stove; Right now we are very happy with our stove which keeps the house nice and warm most of the time, but when it drops into the teens it turns into a wood eater and I have to fire up furnace to keep it at 65 upstairs, I am thinking of putting stove upstairs in the fifth bedroom or playroom, I would like some input from anybody that uses a second stove especially on the second floor, my house is a 3200 sq. ft. Center hall colonial with 4 bedrooms and a finished bonus room that I use for a playroom/ fly tying room, and that is where I am planing on putting the stove, I think I will burn less wood because my primary stove will not have to work as hard to keep temps upstairs,please let me know of your experiences with2 stoves.
Thanks
PS the room is located on the opposite side of the house where my stove is.

If you have the cash, I would get a CAT stove for the living area. You will only have to tend it every 12 hours or so. I have a coal stove for my second stove and it goes 12 hrs between tending, and that makes it way easier to have 2 stoves going when one stove hardly needs looked after.

Whatever you get..make sure your floor can hold it up there!

HotCoals said:
Whatever you get..make sure your floor can hold it up there!
Wow, good thinking, I plan on getting a small Joutol or Vermont Casting Aspen.That's what I like about forums , you always get info on the stuff you miss till it's too late

sebring said:
If you have the cash, I would get a CAT stove for the living area. You will only have to tend it every 12 hours or so. I have a coal stove for my second stove and it goes 12 hrs between tending, and that makes it way easier to have 2 stoves going when one stove hardly needs looked after.
Already have a 4 year old stove there, plus second stove won't be needed that often.

How are you going to get the wood up there (to 2nd floor)?

HollowHill said:
How are you going to get the wood up there (to 2nd floor)?
Maybe he has a wife? lol

Second floor stove ? I will start my list of negatives:
1. Carry wood up the stairs of center hall colonial. Banging the wall all the way up the steps....
2. Stove in a bedroom .. I would check with the local codes.
3. Stove in a bedroom -- probably will not warm the other second floor rooms that well.
4. Second floor stove will have a very short chimney
5. Stove in a bedroom, will reduce home value, and make it really hard to sell
6. Is a lot of weight, need a hearth etc etc better a huge bedroom/playroom ...
7. To be filled in later

Move the fly tying stuff where it belongs .... 1st floor.....

I'd prolly go gas stove upstairs..direct vent...if I had to have more heat up there once in awhile.

madison said:
Second floor stove ? I will start my list of negatives:
1. Carry wood up the stairs of center hall colonial. Banging the wall all the way up the steps....
2. Stove in a bedroom .. I would check with the local codes.
3. Stove in a bedroom -- probably will not warm the other second floor rooms that well.
4. Second floor stove will have a very short chimney
5. Stove in a bedroom, will reduce home value, and make it really hard to sell
6. Is a lot of weight, need a hearth etc etc better a huge bedroom/playroom ...
7. To be filled in later

Move the fly tying stuff where it belongs .... 1st floor.....
Think I can get around those negs.;Kids need money, they hump wood
It is more of a large room than a bedroom so not worried about value, it might even add.
I have only been burning wood for 5 years and not familier with stoves, so what does flue length have to do with it.
I like your stove set up Madison, I am thinking of something like yours as it will go into a corner.

Flue length can affect draft a lot.
Most say you need at least 14 ft. I believe.

I'm in a similar situation. Yesterday it was about 15 degrees with 25-30 mph winds. I ran the furnace 2 times. But woke this morning to a 57 degree house. And that was with the Elm pumping out at 750 degrees most of the night. Even the furnace can't get a grip. So second stove it is. Going to stick with what it working for me and do a second Elm.

I would eventually like to add a 2nd stove of some sort as well. Looking back at my Quad 5700 install, don't get me wrong I love it in the living room but Damn it can get warm in there...I have passed out and dropped a full bottle of beer sitting next to that thing..not good. Had to get up and get another beer. Seriously though If and when I can act on doing something different I would put the 5700 in the basement (easy to bring in wood through the bulk head rather than carry it through the house) And where the Stove is now I think I would put in a pellet stove...load the hopper and be done with it. That is what I would do...especially if you are thinking of putting a stove on the 2nd floor or in a bedroom...go pellet or gas.

Steve

The weird layout of my place is what prompted the second stove ( well, that & the price of heating oil ! ). Long ranch with 2 main levels and a 12 x 12 3 rd floor extension (arguably the warmest room in the house, and unused). The 3rd floor extension has a ceiling fan that runs on "down " mode continuosley.

There was no way the heat from the PE was moving down a 3 ft doorway and flowing into the 1000 sf that it had to heat on a lower level, so the second stove it was.

Have you tried with fans to move the air around?

Status
Not open for further replies.