Thinking of selling my Quad 5700 - thinking catalytic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

botemout

Nov 26, 2007
North Central NY
Hi All,

It's been some time since I've posted. Last winter I got a QF 5700. I was pretty happy with it, especially as compared to the smoke dragon I'd been using.

This season, however, running this stove has mostly just been a chore. Why? Well, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that I've been burning largely unseasoned wood, could it? !! ;-) Long story, but I just never had time to get my wood in - and I refused to spend the money to buy my year's wood. (Yes, I know, huge mistake, etc... - won't happen again.) Early on I burned black locust branches (a huge tree that feel in our yard - though branches they were still 6-8" in diameter) and that was okay but after that was gone I had to get into the main trunk and into my real wood pile (lots of cherry, maple, etc... that I bucked and split within the same week).

As all of you probably know, burning greenish wood is LOTS of work (heavier to carry; takes forever to get a good fire going; any time you load it up you've got, say, 1.5 hours before you get any heat to speak of, probably have more creosote than ideal, etc...). And maybe this alone accounts for my dissatisfaction.

But, even with pretty good wood last year I never got a burn that lasted through the night. There were many mornings when it was 55-60F in the house. It's not the biggest deal in the world but I'm thinking there must be a better way. I'm too busy for what, sometimes, feels like another part time job.

So here's what I think I know about, say, a Blaze King King.
- large wood box
- has a thermostat that can be set to burn extremely low
- very long burn times possible
- (probably) has no glass and the aesthetics suck (the fires in the quad are beautiful!)
- needs a replacement element every 5 or so years which'll cost about $300 bucks
- very low polluting
- is VERY intolerant of unseasoned/less seasoned wood

So, my dream would be:
- have lots of seasoned firewood (!! ;-)
- once every day (if really cold) or every couple of days when not too cold, I fill up the firebox, set the thermostat and then I don't think about it for a day or two.

That sounds great.

Is this reasonable? And, if yes, why the hell isn't everyone using catalytic stoves. They sound amazing. Perhaps I need to reread some articles on the downsides of catalytic. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Thanks much,
JR

Buy any stove you want.....but if you don't change the situation with the fuel you will never be happy with it. So before even considering a different stove, get yourself at least 2 years ahead with your firewood. Do nothing more until you get to that point....unless you get 3 years ahead, which is even better.

Know what kind of wood you want to burn and know how long that has to season. Make sure you are seasoning the wood right. For example, many think the wood shed is the best idea...and indeed it is good. But do not put green wood in a wood shed! Get it split and stacked where it gets some wind (sun is nice too). Get it well seasoned; dry; and then you can start thinking about a different stove. You might even find you could be happy with what you already have.

I would not say the BK is tolerant of unseasoned/less than seasoned wood. It is a PIA to burn in any modern stove. I also think it messes with the way the tstat works but I need to play with it a bit more to figure that out.

One the other hand, with reasonably dry wood (mine is 18 mo split but far from perfect), long burn times and operates very well over a wide range of output. The tstat does make it set it and forget it.

At high burn, you get a bit of a show but probably nothing compared to the Quad. If your interest is easy heat, relatively speaking of course, it is a winner.

Attachments

• high burn.jpg
    high burn.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 373
Backwoods Savage said:
Buy any stove you want.....but if you don't change the situation with the fuel you will never be happy with it. So before even considering a different stove, get yourself at least 2 years ahead with your firewood. Do nothing more until you get to that point....unless you get 3 years ahead, which is even better.
Good advice, for sure.

Backwoods Savage said:
Know what kind of wood you want to burn and know how long that has to season. Make sure you are seasoning the wood right. For example, many think the wood shed is the best idea...and indeed it is good. But do not put green wood in a wood shed! Get it split and stacked where it gets some wind (sun is nice too). Get it well seasoned; dry; and then you can start thinking about a different stove. You might even find you could be happy with what you already have.
I'll have lots of black locust; they say 2 years minimum, 3 might be better. The first year I was out here I had 5 cords I bought from the prior owner; it was seasoned and burned like rocket fuel! When I buy logs I wind up getting your typical north east mix: maple, ash, cherry, birch, etc....

SolarAndWood said:
I would not say the BK is tolerant of unseasoned/less than seasoned wood. It is a PIA to burn in any modern stove. I also think it messes with the way the tstat works but I need to play with it a bit more to figure that out.

One the other hand, with reasonably dry wood (mine is 18 mo split but far from perfect), long burn times and operates very well over a wide range of output. The tstat does make it set it and forget it.

At high burn, you get a bit of a show but probably nothing compared to the Quad. If your interest is easy heat, relatively speaking of course, it is a winner.
Is it still true that the BK King still requires an 8" chimney?

With the best wood you've burned, a fully loaded wood box and the tstat set to low/medium, what's the longest you've ever been able to "forget it?"

thanks

EatenByLimestone said:
Have you thought of a pellet stove?

Matt
Certainly no offense to anyone who would think otherwise but the last thing I'd ever get for heat when you need it is something that requires a manufactured product and electricity. Part of my thing is not having to worry about heat even if conditions become, say, unusual (extended power outage, etc...).

But, I sure can understand how nice it would be to: open bag, pour into hopper, start, drink beer, ....

It's not the stove. You know that. What makes you think a bigger stove will make you happy, when you still don't have DRY wood?
I'm pretty sure you understand the situation, but would maybe prefer more of a hands-off approach. Catalytic might be what you need. Get DRY wood first though.
The 5700 is one of the stoves I would love to have (although too big for my house), and will keep an overnight IF you have DRY wood.
There's a theme here.
Good for you for thinking the pellet is not for you. Still dependent on someone else for your fuel, and power to run it.
Good luck, we're pullin' for 'ya.

botemout said:

With the best wood you've burned, a fully loaded wood box and the tstat set to low/medium, what's the longest you've ever been able to "forget it?"

A few guys are running 6" with a King, but I doubt any of them would recommend it. I did a 48 hr burn with a 100 lb load the good stuff last fall just after I got it to see if the marketing was bs, but in practice I do 24 hr burns. 12 hour burns this time of year. Remember too that 34 loads of the King is a cord of wood.

PapaDave said:
It's not the stove. You know that. What makes you think a bigger stove will make you happy, when you still don't have DRY wood?
I'm pretty sure you understand the situation, but would maybe prefer more of a hands-off approach. Catalytic might be what you need. Get DRY wood first though.
The 5700 is one of the stoves I would love to have (although too big for my house), and will keep an overnight IF you have DRY wood.
There's a theme here.
Good for you for thinking the pellet is not for you. Still dependent on someone else for your fuel, and power to run it.
Yeah, we understand each other. I know I have poor wood (especially this year) and (something I haven't mentioned) my house needs more insulation but, bottom line, I think I'm ready for an approach that requires less labor (or at least the labor in fewer chunks - load once a day rather than 4, say).

botemout said:
oad once a day rather than 4, say)

You are going to need a tight house and good wood for that in January. There aren't too many houses built like that around here. The King is still only 2 loads in a mid-size stove. It has no problem going for 24 hours as long as you are ok with the heat it puts out over that 24 hours. I went from 4 loads a day in January to two.

botemout said:

Since I'm interested in the King and have a 6" flue, I did a lot of research and calculating on the topic.

My conclusion is the greatest risk is of smoke roll out on reload, since the 6" flue will only suck air out of the firebox at about half the rate of an otherwise identical 8" with the door open. This is confirmed by people using 6" flues. The manufacturer acknowledges that roll out can happen even with the 8", and has tips of how to minimize it on the website.

So the risk is that you get the 6" flue and stove installed, and then get smoke in your house on reloads.

HTH, and good luck.

botemout said:
PapaDave said:
There's a theme here.
Yeah, we understand each other. I know I have poor wood (especially this year) and (something I haven't mentioned) my house needs more insulation but, bottom line, I think I'm ready for an approach that requires less labor (or at least the labor in fewer chunks - load once a day rather than 4, say).

I may have responded a little harshly.
I also would love to reduce the amount of work I put into this wood burning deal. I've been working to that end since I got this place and started burning. I plan to get a new stove in a couple years (or less, if possible), and have debated cat, non-cat several times.
Dennis has, on more than one occasion, and to more than just me, suggested a cat stove.
I started with the usual "seasoned" wood from a couple different local guys, then decided to take the bull by the horns and process my own.
Oh, and my house also needs more insulation. New windows would be nice. I could keep the house warmer with less wood if I did those things, but it ain't happenin' soon, so I'll do the things I can now to save the work. Do whatever you can to get more wood than you need asap for 2 or more years. You'll be glad you did.

SolarAndWood said:
botemout said:
oad once a day rather than 4, say)

You are going to need a tight house and good wood for that in January. There aren't too many houses built like that around here. The King is still only 2 loads in a mid-size stove. It has no problem going for 24 hours as long as you are ok with the heat it puts out over that 24 hours. I went from 4 loads a day in January to two.
I'd take 4 loads dropping to 2 when it's really cold ;-)

PapaDave said:
botemout said:
PapaDave said:
There's a theme here.

I may have responded a little harshly.
I also would love to reduce the amount of work I put into this wood burning deal. I've been working to that end since I got this place and started burning. I plan to get a new stove in a couple years (or less, if possible), and have debated cat, non-cat several times.
Dennis has, on more than one occasion, and to more than just me, suggested a cat stove.
I started with the usual "seasoned" wood from a couple different local guys, then decided to take the bull by the horns and process my own.
Oh, and my house also needs more insulation. New windows would be nice. I could keep the house warmer with less wood if I did those things, but it ain't happenin' soon, so I'll do the things I can now to save the work. Do whatever you can to get more wood than you need asap for 2 or more years. You'll be glad you did.
Every spring I'm saying, "This year, I'm going to start doing wood as soon as it thaws." And, of course, every fall, I'm doing my wood! If I can just take the memory of the frustration of this year into spring, I might actually make it ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.