Thinking of summer projects....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger

Burning Hunk
Dec 8, 2013
Rhode Island
So,like everyone on here I am growing tired of this winter. I am organizing my thoughts on my summer projects.....

1-mother in law ran out of wood in VT. So building second wood shed(first one holds 4 cords) and trying to get ten cords split this spring. Found a guy selling bucked up wood for 125 a cord

2-fabricating shelf for my log splitter to hold halves while I'm working on the other.

3-build proper wood shed for me. Just using pallets now.

What's everyone else planning...

Last weekend I cut down every Ash tree on our property to replenish what I took from next winter's wood. They are all either dead or dying from EAB and it's one of the fastest seasoning woods.
Saturday, I plan to reorganize the wood shed and pull out my steel wood racks, they're not needed in there anyway.
Hopefully, I can get all the Ash split Sunday and get it stacked.
After that, it's time to go on the scrounge attack, that or cut down some of my Locusts, which is the last thing I want to do.
My aim is to get at least 6 cords of new wood this year, even if it means putting off some other projects.

Not much to do as I am already 3+ years ahead but I will roof the house, mow the yard, plant the garden, work on furniture, build a covered area for us to set in this summer, cut and split wood , add 2 rooms on the house and if that is not enough I will cut and split and stack more wood.

Not much to do as I am already 3+ years ahead but I will roof the house,

I was gonna do that last year. But for the first time in my life I hired a crew and sat in a lawn chair at the back of the yard and watched, and corrected them a couple of times, and that is the only way to go! >>

Do the wood.

Reactions: tcassavaugh
Building Catcatraz II ... a bigger outdoor pen for the cats.

We may also side the garage and will probably put some stone up on the wall around the wood stove.

Reactions: Bobbin
Drainage lines got to in this year # 1 project, need a carport but got to check with city and their funky rules, beyond that CAD is in remission at present but FAD is getting pretty virulent. And looking for/ at compact tractors to replace SS, I sold last fall. ( dang those units are overpriced used so looking at new, no sense buying someone's problem child)

Bear hunt in May, build a pole barn when I get back, continue to train my blood tracking hound to find wounded deer. look forward to fall.

Finish the zip on screen panels for the porch we built last year. Continue landscaping the south side of the house (rework the perennial beds) and begin adding a few shrubs to flesh out the woodland area on the south side of the lawn. Split and stack firewood. Scrape textured "popcorn" off the ceiling of the living area of our home, spackle the seams, and paint it (can't wait).

Install my stove once it's a little warmer and after we finish the hardwood floor (need to have the windows open to let the fumes out from the finish and vinyl); Stack as much wood as I can with the goal of working my way to 3 years head by the end of next summer; continue to build my garden larger, maybe start selling at farmers markets; build a chicken tractor for chickens next summer; NEVER TAKE WARM WEATHER FOR GRANTED AGAIN!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobbin
Building a 10'x16' shed with an attached 8'x10' wood storage shed. Get more wood stacked for 2015/2016. Usual lawncare.

Forgot , I got to get quotes on getting a basement external access put in , not one of the window units but a full sized door. Reason: so much better to feed wood furnace but more than that it adds about 70% of the basement as living space a + when selling. ( I really do not need 2000 sq ft of home for just my self and the 2 springers . )

other than C/S/S....got a Kitchen to do.....Hardwood flooring just came in, need to pick it up...Cabinets should be in first week of April, took off April 21-25 to get-r-done. After the Kitchen, start the debate with the Wife about allowing me some $$$ to build a woodshed....figure $100 in lumber may do it;hm

Reactions: Driver
After the Kitchen, start the debate with the Wife about allowing me some $$$ to build a woodshed....figure $100 in lumber may do it
Should be an easy debate to win, just got estimate to redo our kitchen ouch!!

Reactions: Beer Belly
Should be an easy debate to win, just got estimate to redo our kitchen ouch!!
I go thru the same debate for the past 6 years....never win. I'm actually doing the Kitchen, Cabinets from Lowes (Shenandoah line), Flooring from Lumber Liquidators, so far, just under $4,500 in materials....hoping to finish under $6,000....11x11 Kitchen

And for those of you looking for really nice cabinets -- solid Maple or Cherry, raised panel, stained and glazed, with dovetail drawers, plywood boxes, Blum drawer slides, catalyzed finish, completely assembled and shipped to you check out kitchenresourcesdirect.com. That's where I'll be getting my cabinets I think.

@Bobbin When you scrape that popcorn ceiling, attach the hose of your garage vac to your scraper and you will have less mess.

@farmboy05 I'm not a farmer, so would you please enlighten me and tell me what a chicken tractor is!

My summer projects include getting a building permit for my next house so that I can have the trees felled, c/s/s to start the seasoning process (fir and oak on site).

Build some very large bins to hold douglas fir cut offs (I'm paying a stinkin fortune for stud wood, no sense doing the landfill thing to get rid of them)

CTC in the house (cull the crap, i.e., purge the junk)

Look for a less expensive place to rent cuz' when the house gets done, the stuff gets moved and I go to the little rental for the remainder of the school year.

Last edited:
@farmboy05 I'm not a farmer, so would you please enlighten me and tell me what a chicken tractor is!

A chicken tractor is like a very small coop and caged in area together on wheels. That way u can move the chickens around in your yard so they can do a little bit of "free ranging" in your yard and u don't have as much to clean up. It also then protects them from predators unlike just letting them truely free range. We have a lot of cyotes, hawks, owls, n some bald eagles around here.

Hoping to take it easy this summer. Adding some boards as siding on the upper portion of my wood shed, hoping to put in a pretty large deck and then maybe build a 10' X 10' or 12' X12' shed to replace the vinyl one we have now that's starting to sag everywhere.

My projects are: finish splitting my 7 cords of oak, have a tree service drop (2) big maples that are very close to my house, split that, build a wood shed <8 cord storage. Make sure my parents have enough wood css, if not help them

Roof on the garage. Build a shed. Stock up on more scrounge wood.Cut grass, cut grass, oh yeah, cut grass.:)

I need to build a hanger so I don't have to keep assemble/disassemble my ultralight when I fly. image.jpg

Reactions: Beer Belly
Status
Not open for further replies.