Thinking of upgrading my stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roberth42

May 12, 2010
Tres-St-Redempteur, Quebec
I found a T5 for sale on Kijiji and am thinking to switch out my Englander NC13 for the PE T5.
Anyone have any comments about the T5?
I have really enjoyed the NC13 but find it difficult to get overnight burns on it. Otherwise it heats my house just fine!
Also what would be a good price for a used T5? Seller is asking $700 obo.

If the stove is in good shape that seems like a pretty good price.
The T5 is a very nice, well performing stove. A bit bigger than the NC13 so you should be able to get longer burn times.

Andrew

PS. My wife has relatives in St Lazare!!

Last edited:
Robert, tell me a bit more about your Englander NC13. Im curious what you said about not getting all night burns in particular. Been thinking about getting either a 13 or a 30 for next winter but the 30 seems like a little over kill. What are your average burn times on that 13? you said it heats good, how big is your house? Do you like the stove in general?

I just read the t5 is 1.97 cu ft and the Englander is 1.8 cu ft. The information could be wrong but this is not enough for me to change them out unless the PE holds high temps for a reeeeeeeally long time compared to the Englander....

Kindred, depends on the size you home and area you try to heat but I think the 30 in WI. Is the way to go. I've been to Appleton in the winter and I think you want the ability to have small fires in a large box then when you need it, large fires in a large box.

Hey Andrew
Thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking. Are you familiar with the T5?
Small world, we love St-Lazare been here 8 years now!
Great to hear from people in QC. You are generally colder that us in SW ont. We are pretty cold here the last few days but our wood stove has been awesome. My stove is 1.7cuft - castine so I am not sure about the t5 at nearly 2cuft or the englander at 1.8 would do for me but ours works fine for our house configuration. My key issues are loading large logs/splits for an overnight burn.

Reactions: roberth42
Robert, tell me a bit more about your Englander NC13. Im curious what you said about not getting all night burns in particular. Been thinking about getting either a 13 or a 30 for next winter but the 30 seems like a little over kill. What are your average burn times on that 13? you said it heats good, how big is your house? Do you like the stove in general?

Hi KindredSpiritzz
My house is 1500sq ft built in 2005. Very well built and well insulated. Cottage with bedrooms on second floor and the stove is located in our family room.
We are currently experiencing a cold spell and night time temps are around -13F and daytime around -6F. The stove keeps the house at a very comfortable 70F without issue. I load the stove typically at around 10:30pm (with 2 large splits and 1 small split) and make sure it is cruising before dampening down all the way and then head upstairs to bed. Around 6:00am when I get up the house will be around 64F and the stove will only be Luke warm to the touch. I usually will only have a handful of coals to get the fire going again. Once going it will only take about 1hour and the house is starting to warm up nicely.
In general I'm very happy with the stove just wish it could have a bit larger firebox. For me the NC30 is too big for my house/room and would not work well.
Hope this helps!!

I just read the t5 is 1.97 cu ft and the Englander is 1.8 cu ft. The information could be wrong but this is not enough for me to change them out unless the PE holds high temps for a reeeeeeeally long time compared to the Englander....

I think the T5 should hold the heat longer since it is jacketed with cast iron and I expect that it should give me that little extra burn time I'm looking for.
Does anyone know if you can burn NS in the T5?
I can only burn EW in the NC13!

I'm surprised you can't keep an overnight burn in the 13NC. Is this primarily during very cold weather? If so, the T5 is not going to do much better. You will need greater capacity for more sustained heat. But if this is just a loading issue then I think you would like the T5. It will provide a good 10-12 hr burn normally and 8 hrs when pushed.

Yes you can burn N/S in a T5. The firebox is ~18" square.

Yeah with fireboxes that close in size you won't gain anything. Nice that the heat goes out into the cast iron and it holds it. But your couch holds it too.

Reactions: PLAYS WITH FIRE
I doubt the heat capacity of a cast iron jacket is as low as a couch. ;) I guess that is why I keep lots of dust bunnies around my stove; it keeps the heat longer ;)

Andrew

I found a T5 for sale on Kijiji and am thinking to switch out my Englander NC13 for the PE T5.
Anyone have any comments about the T5?
I have really enjoyed the NC13 but find it difficult to get overnight burns on it. Otherwise it heats my house just fine!
Also what would be a good price for a used T5? Seller is asking $700 obo.

A friend of mine has a T5. He loves the little stove. He does load N/S. The only thing is that sometimes when he cuts his wood he doesn't cut it exactly 16 inches so the odd piece won't fit. That's why I enjoy being able to put 20-22 inch pieces in mine ;) My length cutting accuracy isn't good.

Hi KindredSpiritzz
My house is 1500sq ft built in 2005. Very well built and well insulated. Cottage with bedrooms on second floor and the stove is located in our family room.
We are currently experiencing a cold spell and night time temps are around -13F and daytime around -6F. The stove keeps the house at a very comfortable 70F without issue. I load the stove typically at around 10:30pm (with 2 large splits and 1 small split) and make sure it is cruising before dampening down all the way and then head upstairs to bed. Around 6:00am when I get up the house will be around 64F and the stove will only be Luke warm to the touch. I usually will only have a handful of coals to get the fire going again. Once going it will only take about 1hour and the house is starting to warm up nicely.
In general I'm very happy with the stove just wish it could have a bit larger firebox. For me the NC30 is too big for my house/room and would not work well.
Hope this helps!!

Food for thought: just remember though you can make a small fire in a big stove but can't make a big fire in a small stove......

Status
Not open for further replies.